Where's All This Aged Tobacco Coming From?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
SPC's recent 20th anniversary blends with 18-yr old perique. Sutliff's 2020 Cringle Cake with 10-yr old virginia and 17-yr old perique.

Do these blending houses keep stashes of old tobacco around? If so, how is it stored? Is it stored dry? I can't imagine they're keeping it stored in "jars" like us to help the aging process.

Reactions: artvandelay007

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
SPC's recent 20th anniversary blends with 18-yr old perique. Sutliff's 2020 Cringle Cake with 10-yr old virginia and 17-yr old perique.
It's the same Perique. This partiular Perique was available as D&R Blender's Bench Decade Perique. It all comes from one gynormous barrel that was found in La Poche.

Turns out the barrel was much older than first thought.

spicy_boiii

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
Select tobacco, oftentimes in big bales or pallets, can be stored and used by a blending company for a long, long time. This has been talked about by the big blenders and blending houses. I know Sutliff has large stores of a variety of tobacco.

Depending on the source, it was believed that much of the Syrian Latakia last held in any meaningful amount in the 00's was originally grown and cured in some instances in the 70's.

It gets crazier with condiment type tobaccos, like perique. Imagine how many pounds of blended perique you can make with a single barrel, then imagine how much tobacco you can blend using that much perique.

The reality is that the pipe world is so small in the grand scheme of things.

My quick research showed that the United States alone produces at least about 282 MILLION pounds of tobacco a year. That was the LOWEST figure I could find.

The issue, which is commented upon very frequently, seems to be getting the quality of specific tobacco types to use for the purpose of pipe-making. Pipe tobacco just doesn't have the money or people to back an industry that supports directed cultivation, curing, and production that cigars and cigarettes do.

Pipenwheels

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2020
Ohio
From my understanding it is stored dry in bales until ready to use. There is a c&d tour on YouTube, where Jeremy explains the process of rehydrating tobacco to cut after it has been destemmed etc in dry state. Then they dry it out to blend it, because wet leaf wouldnt blend well, then rehydrate to tin up, press cut into flake then tin. This is my question, what happens to tobacco oils while it sits dry and is it losing flavors? Carolina red flake uses tobacco harvested 2018 for the 2020 small batch, and for past several years had used leaf from 2015 according 2018 small batch. If I understand things correctly the dry leaves do not benefit from any kind of fermentation/aging because if they did each year of small batch would be a little better. One more thought, tobacco houses like germain seem to be doing things very differently, ie aging tobacco in tin before released. I almost wonder if they are tinning 2022 or 2023s batch this year which would explain some of the scarcity. May explain some of the reason supply is behind demand because you wouldn't be able to adjust supply quickly if you're known for aged tin tobacco. I think this why dating germain is difficult as well. Little off topic sorry gentlemen.

leonidas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 16, 2013
I can't answer your question but this short video may provide some insight. It shows the storage of tobacco leaf harvested in 1974 and 1983 that makes up HH Old Dark Fired.

....thank you for sharing the video....very interesting..

Reactions: wolflarsen
Status
Not open for further replies.