PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
Thinking of selling 6-10 mid, high and one really high grade pipes. Should I risk eBay and sell them myself? Or should I hand them off to trustworthy resellers (Pulvers/Stud of Pipes/Secondhandsmokes) to sell and lose the commission? Or dump them on Smoking Pipes and take the cash or credit. Decisions...
What say you?

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I've been screwed on EBAY before when selling, too many things can go wrong and I don't have that kind of time. I say put 'em on here at a reasonable price and see if you get any bites...

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
I say put 'em on here at a reasonable price and see if you get any bites...
Yep, I would try selling them here, first, and if they don't sell you can always go another route. If you're worried about not getting enough bids on Ebay, then just list them with the "Buy it now" option only. If they're worth enough and you want to do it hassle-free, so that it will be worth it to lose the commission, go with Pipestud or another such reputable re-selling expert. Just don't list them in more than one place, obviously, as you may end up double-booking your sale.
If the pipes are in good condition and you advertise them honestly, you shouldn't have any problems. That said, going through a consignment service will likely guarantee a smooth transaction all around.

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
What's the preferred 3rd party photo hosting site nowadays for this site?

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I like imgbb.com for photo hosting.
I’ve had decent luck selling on eBay myself.

I’ve had less than stellar luck using well established eBay consigners. I suppose that’s really a matter of luck and variables.
Ultimately I like selling on here the most.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
You can just upload them to any site (Google account, Photobucket, probably any blog or social media, etc.) that will provide you with a URL for the individual photo and then use the IMG button on the toolbar of your post.

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
OK. Trying to get Flickr to work on the test thread. IMG button not working so far. I think I will post here first and then make a call to Pipestud.

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
Fingers crossed this works. I'll post FS posts in the appropriate category in the next day or so.

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
Thanks crash. I bought out a small cigar place in Vegas last year on the cheap, but I normally pay through the nose on Amazon. Lord Bezos is my pusher. I buy a dozen at a time to feed my habit. $0.086 per match.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Since you're asking here are my recommendations. Try selling your mid range pipes here first. Forget about the high grades. I've never seen an expensive pipe sell here, but you will get a nice bunch of compliments about your high grade pipe with hopes that somebody (else) will actually buy it. Pipes at $200 more or less, and below, may actually sell here.
If you don't mind doing the work and you don't want to pay commission then definitely eBay. You will need to take great pictures and also write a clear, complete and concise description. Presentation is everything. You are unlikely to make the kind of money that well established eBay sellers get, but you will get what the market, at that moment in time and space, is willing to spend on your high grades. I've never had a problem selling on eBay. If you're worried about selling your pipe for nothing you have options. You can set a reserve for the bottom amount that you are willing to take, or you can sell the pipes as a "buy it now" and negotiate directly with a potential buyer.
If you don't mind selling at wholesale in exchange for ease, then sell to a dealer. Besides Pipestud, I'd absolutely recommend Marty Pulvers and Mike Glukler. I know all these guys and they are scrupulously honest. And if you would be happy with a store credit, try Smoking Pipes.
One last eBay option is to sell to one of the better known eBay dealers like coopersark, treasurepipes, or greatestates.
Just keep in mind that all of these other avenues will be paying wholesale for your pipes, as they are entitled to make a profit and will have their capital tied up in your pipes until they sell them.
Last but certainly not least, image hosting sites. Avoid Photobucket. Aside from their predatory site practices, they charge $500 a year for giving you the ability to post your images to remote servers. Sometimes you might be able to post an image for an hour or even a day, before their system detects the remote server and kills your post. My personal choice is imgur, which has a well developed simple interface to use.
The last piece of info is that the market for high end pipes currently is very, very soft. High end pipes at high end prices are not selling. So keep your expectations reasonable.

iajaffe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2010
Thank you sable for one of the most relevant and on point responses to a forum question I have ever seen. I will take your advice on the high grades. And will probably go to Pipestud; a. since I will be driving by his house soon and b. I'm lazy and rather pay someone else to do the work.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’m glad you posted this thread as I have some pipes I’d like to unload myself, I’m looking to sell a few so that I can get a new one. I’ve made the point to not buy any more until I sell off a few great pipes that just don’t get enough love and attention here. Plus, I’m just dying to get a Costello Sea Rock in my collection.

Dec 24, 2012
Pipestud is a good choice but you have to be prepared to take the results of the auction and he is clear that he sells the pipes as is. If you want to be able to set the price of your pipes, Mike at briar blues is a good choice. He does clean the pipes a bit and you set the selling price and the commission is pretty much the same if I recall (around 30%, if memory serves). I sold a bunch of pipes through Mike a few years back - I set the prices with input from him. It took awhile but they all sold eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.