Where to Get Large Digital Images of the Frog Morton Art?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Not sure if you you've tried this.

Google images search:
>tools
>size
>large (only shows high quality, so lower pixilation issue)

They are all tin photos though. No flat scans of labels off tins.

Reactions: SBC

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Love to see what you come up with. Along with countless others over the years I’ve bugged Mary to sell prints of the Frog Morton art.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I’m not 100% sure of the details but there is a way to upscale digital photos. First, look for a free upscaler. Then on the upscaled photo find a free editor to change the dpi/ppi to 300. I’m not sure how far this will get you but I’ve used to successfully to get low res/small images sized large enough to print on a t-shirt.

Jun 23, 2019
Yeah, I'd say the best option for a hi res digital is to scan the label yourself - something like an EPSON V series can probably scale you to 24 x 24 inches at a reasonable viewing distance.

That said, an alternative could be to just get an artist on Etsy to commission a painting or something. Might actually be cheaper than a print.

Reactions: SBC and ofafeather

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Yeah, I'd say the best option for a hi res digital is to scan the label yourself - something like an EPSON V series can probably scale you to 24 x 24 inches at a reasonable viewing distance.

That said, an alternative could be to just get an artist on Etsy to commission a painting or something. Might actually be cheaper than a print.
An Epson V600 can make scans at 2500ppi at 16 bit, which is how I made the original scans of the pre WW1 Barling catalog that I published. It did a remarkably good job of scanning, but keep in mind that actual optical resolution figures are somewhat lower. I also had the services of a world class digital restorer to tweak the scans, me.