PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PortugalPipe

Lurker
Aug 14, 2021
Viseu, Portugal
Edited and shortened title, as don't know what this part means: "Where is a good tobacco that sell outside his country?"

Being (re)starting in the art of the pipe, one of the things that changed in the last 8 years was the possibility of buying tobacco online.

I live in Portugal and it has been almost impossible to find an online store that sells to my country.

On the one hand, I intend to buy from a European (EU) store so that I don't have customs problems. This includes UK stores because I think orders are not yet going through customs, or there are no customs fees for now. On the other hand, most of the stores I saw only sell online for the country itself.

I already have some tobaccos selected to restart me in the hobby, but I can't find an online store, within the EU space, that sells outside the country where the store is located.

Tips are accepted because I'm sure they exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: UncleRasta

B18

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2015
Hi PortugalPipe,
there have been new EU regulations which makes in harder for sellers to send tobacco within the EU.
I have also asked my standard shops if they would ship, but they haven't answered my email.

If it is possible for you, i would advise to travel to Spain and buy there (cheapest tobacco prices i've seen in the EU).

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

PortugalPipe

Lurker
Aug 14, 2021
Viseu, Portugal
Hi PortugalPipe,
there have been new EU regulations which makes in harder for sellers to send tobacco within the EU.
I have also asked my standard shops if they would ship, but they haven't answered my email.

If it is possible for you, i would advise to travel to Spain and buy there (cheapest tobacco prices i've seen in the EU).
yep i understand that UE is on process to create a community of weak people for getting sure no one is going to disput Chinese leaders. And i also know that UK, for their one sake, is out of that process.

But... Should i travel a total of 580 km (near city in Spain with some tobacco shops that have good kind of pipe tobacco) to buy a few tins? In Portugal we pay the gasoline between € 1,80 and €1,96 a liter... add tools to that...

PortugalPipe

Lurker
Aug 14, 2021
Viseu, Portugal
There is no onlineshop in UE that sell tobacco for other UE countries?

Maybe if i order form Aliexpress or another chinese online store... Portugal customs normally lets pass everything that is order from China...

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Swiss with little choice and also i risk paying import taxes... Swiss as an agreement to EU but outside tobacco, drinks, PC chips and other things.
You don't need much more choice than what Synjeco has, but I think they won't send to the EU so easily.

You can try estervals in Germany which is shipping again.

@Ahi Ka is referring to etrafika.cz, have done some business with them and they carry good tobacco.

Grovius

Might Stick Around
Sep 27, 2020
Tui, Galicia
Hi PortugalPipe,
Where are you from? If anywhere near Valença do Minho, there's a decent shop just at the other side of the bridge.

DangerStranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
yep i understand that UE is on process to create a community of weak people for getting sure no one is going to disput Chinese leaders. And i also know that UK, for their one sake, is out of that process.

But... Should i travel a total of 580 km (near city in Spain with some tobacco shops that have good kind of pipe tobacco) to buy a few tins? In Portugal we pay the gasoline between € 1,80 and €1,96 a liter... add tools to that...

I can send you a couple of tins in exchange for a liter of home made Ginja. Or you might consider buying some whole leaves and blending your own as whole leaves aren't taxed as tobacco. Here's a link.

Last edited:

Grovius

Might Stick Around
Sep 27, 2020
Tui, Galicia
It's this one, in the appropriately named Avenida de Portugal:

They have Solani, Rattray's, a couple of GL Pease's blends, Ascanian and other Dan T blends, Peterson and I seem to remember a couple of tins of Samuel Gawith. Lots of cigars, too, but not many sold individually. Cheers!

PortugalPipe

Lurker
Aug 14, 2021
Viseu, Portugal
It's this one, in the appropriately named Avenida de Portugal:

They have Solani, Rattray's, a couple of GL Pease's blends, Ascanian and other Dan T blends, Peterson and I seem to remember a couple of tins of Samuel Gawith. Lots of cigars, too, but not many sold individually. Cheers!
Thanks you.

It's real near the border (that first avenue in Portugal is also named Avenida de Espanha :)). Next time i go to Picos da Europa passing by Tui or going do Braga i'm to that shop-

Reactions: Grovius

PortugalPipe

Lurker
Aug 14, 2021
Viseu, Portugal
I can send you a couple of tins in exchange for a liter of home made Ginja. Or you might consider buying some whole leaves and blending your own as whole leaves aren't taxed as tobacco. Here's a link.

Buying leaves is not for me... for now, at least. I don't have to knowledge to work with leaves.

Are you true about Ginga (Ginginha)? Where are you from? How do you know Ginginha? Have you been to Óbidos? Óbidos is really tourism right know, no one gets home made Ginginha anymore :(

I have home made Ginginha, but to be true my home made Port Wine (in the barrel for more that 50 years - it was my grandfather that started that barrel - and getting new wine every 3 or 4 years) and home made Aguardente is way better. Aguardente is like a brandy but made with the rest of grapes and vines after making the wine that are still and therefore go to rest in oak barrel for at least 5 years,. It get's about 40º alcohol (it starts with about 55.º to 65.º after the still) and gets from transparent to yellowish.

A real must.

DangerStranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
Buying leaves is not for me... for now, at least. I don't have to knowledge to work with leaves.

Are you true about Ginga (Ginginha)? Where are you from? How do you know Ginginha? Have you been to Óbidos? Óbidos is really tourism right know, no one gets home made Ginginha anymore :(

I have home made Ginginha, but to be true my home made Port Wine (in the barrel for more that 50 years - it was my grandfather that started that barrel - and getting new wine every 3 or 4 years) and home made Aguardente is way better. Aguardente is like a brandy but made with the rest of grapes and vines after making the wine that are still and therefore go to rest in oak barrel for at least 5 years,. It get's about 40º alcohol (it starts with about 55.º to 65.º after the still) and gets from transparent to yellowish.

A real must.
That Port Wine sounds great! I'm not sure if you can receive tobacco from the US, nor if I can receive Alcohol from the EU. It's pretty easy to blend your own tobacco from whole leaf should you reconsider.

PortugalPipe

Lurker
Aug 14, 2021
Viseu, Portugal
That Port Wine sounds great! I'm not sure if you can receive tobacco from the US, nor if I can receive Alcohol from the EU. It's pretty easy to blend your own tobacco from whole leaf should you reconsider.
well from UE to USA most likelly you cannot import drinks without paying a custom fee... and bottles are excluded by UPS, TNT and DHL :(

Eurosender website: "If you are an alcoholic beverage retailer or producer, you may obtain an official license and export alcoholic beverages to the United States legally. However, mailing alcoholic beverages to the US is not permitted for individuals."

From USA to UE also have to pay custom fee i suppose.

I imagine that blend tobacco is easy... if you know what your are doing and what kind of tobacco is

Reactions: DangerStranger