Where Do You Suggest I Go From Here? Pipes 3, 4, 5, 6 ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
It occurred to me today that pipe smoking is here to stay with me and is becoming a real lifestyle. My exploration to date has been with a relatively unexpensive, but nice Rossi briar and a couple of cobs, and I think I would like to start to add some additional briars to my collection, particularly focusing briars on categories of types of tobaccos.

I have not smoked enough pipes to develop a strong preference. Where do you all suggest I go from here to expand my collection?

• Estates on eBay, PipeStud, etc?
  • More relatively inexpensive basket pipes?
  • Sales on good, but more expensive new pipes?
Are there any particular brands or styles that you would suggest would create a nice rounded, but small collection of pipes?

I appreciate that this is probably down to preference, but as I have no clue where to go from here and you all are presently the only experienced pipe smokers I know, any suggestions no matter how basic or even subjective they are, would be greatly appreciated over me just relying on Mr. Google!

Many thanks!

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
So, my two bits... let your collection grow organically, look all around, new pipes at the B&M or the various etailers, Ebay, Estates etc. if something strikes your fancy and you can afford it, buy it.. a Rossi briar and a handful of cobs is a good start, buy a clay, try that out... if you come across a meer you like, and can afford it, pull the trigger.. just go with the flow. Aint no rush

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I think you should do a combination. Really depends on what you want to spend. If you want higher end pipes, go the estate route, just make sure you research and scrutinize what you are buying. Some of my favorite higher end makers are Castello, Randy Wiley, Claudio Cavicchi, Moretti, and others. It takes time, but I have found good quality estates by all those listed for under $100 at one time or another.

If you want new, less expensive pipes, here are my thoughts on those:

PSA (long): New Smokers: You Do Not Need An Expensive Pipe :: General Pipe Smoking Discussion - https://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/psa-long-new-smokers-you-do-not-need-an-expensive-pipe.73161/#post-36015800

Also hard to argue against anything Savinelli if you are willing to spend a bit more than the makers I list in that thread. Lot's of good pipes out there, no matter what you do you'll find some good smokers.

Last edited:

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Personally, I’d wait for a pipe to speak to me and then if I could afford it take it home and see if I still wanted to live with it a few months or years later. Kinda like wife shopping really.

Right now you probably lack enough data to make an informed choice about your own preferences but generally speaking look for good drilling more than appearance and spend as much as you are comfortable with. You might have the pipe for 50 years or hate it in six weeks but there’s no way to know for sure.

I have sold nice pipes that looked and smoked great but just never liked the stem or button or the way the pipe had to be clenched or it was too heavy, too small, too fancy, etc. There are hundreds of reasons not to like a pipe and only some are rational. Most are unknown at the time of purchase until you have tried dozens or even hundreds.

Do yourself a favor and buy the most pipe you are comfortable with but not so much you can’t afford to trade it off if you’re not loving it. Estates are a nice way to do this, but Rossi was a great way to start, so ... yeah, it’s like that.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
There are lots of factors here unique to your situation and preferences, but I'll share my approach.

I'm also relatively new, and I'm increasing my collection to include a couple of shapes that I was missing, namely wider bowled pipes like pots and a couple of more pipes with smaller bowls. I already have a few cobs and a few medium sized brandy, Dublin, and apple shapes, so I ignore those pipes for sale unless there is a sale or something particularly neat about the look of the pipe (like the cool Dublin I picked up recently on eBay).

I'm not suggesting that you are supposed to smoke certain types of tobacco in certain pipes, but I'm happy I bought a new Rossi pot because it did give me a different experience than a brandy.

In order to prioritize, I decided that if I'm going to spend more than a certain amount of money, it will be a new pipe, at least for the time being. So, I lurk on SPC and tobaccopipes.com.

For estate pipes, the amount of pipes on eBay is overwhelming to me. I found a seller that has good reviews here and lots of inexpensive stock that fits my shopping needs for estate pipes (twestpipes). I just casually look at the rest of the listings. I'm sure with some research you can find a seller who has the stock at prices fitting your budget.

And I quickly learned not to regret missing out on a pipe that was sold to someone else. It seems there's always another pipe "better" than that one, and we know there's always going to be another sale.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Starting out you have the luxury of making some decisions. You can have the pleasure of ordering a pipe every few months for a while, probably sticking with lower or moderately priced pipes, or you can decide to own fewer pipes and save up for more exalted higher priced examples. My own joy in owning a wide variety of pipes makes me satisfied with only some high end pipes, but you might want a more selective collection. Then you can decide on a diverse array from various nations, brands, and materials, or to focus on particular brands, nations, etc. I have been gifted with some of my finest pipes. Purchases have been mostly carefully selected but lower priced pipes many of which seem well above their price points in quality and smoking. So the ball is in your court. You can decide, or you can go day by day, by instinct, and see what happens. Have a good time and enjoy your pipes -- that's the main point. Remember, many pipes will last all of your lifetime and beyond, so find pipes that you are happy to own.

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
It seems that with briar pipes, you get what you pay for. I think there are several consistently good brands that make briar pipes for around $200. There are also a couple of inexpensive makers that work with briar, but you won't get much pride of ownership with anything that inexpensive -- with the possible exception of Rossi, which makes great pipes. So, with your $200 in hand, suggest you look at: Radice, Sara Eltang, Savinelli (but Rossi's are often a better value), Mark Tinsky, and estate Castellos -- in that order.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
a nice rounded, but small collection of pipes

Looking at how I've collected an how others have collected it occurs to me the key word here is "collection".

First and foremost, don't be in a rush. That's probably the best advice I can give.

I can remember freaking about spending $50 on a pipe. Man I miss those days...but I digress.

I found a couple of brands I like, one in particular, and have capitalized on sales/deals when I found them. This has made me very happy with my collection.

Then I found my collection growing towards collecting as many brands as I could. I don't really regret this but it was an exercise/lesson in futility or at least depletion of finances. Too many and too varied to have any real direction for me.

Then I stumbled, in mean started, on artisan pieces. Now variance is a good thing. I find myself in a sea of unique and eclectic choices that as a whole makes it's own collection.

So now, with the exception of some "name brands" I intend to sell at some point, I have an ever evolving collection of artisan pipes plus a large collection of Savinelli pipes with, to a lesser extent, some Larsen pipes.

I would be perfectly content with buying, trading, growing, and shrinking my Savinelli collection but my budget affords the others.

I think collecting a single shape would be boring.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
Starting out you have the luxury of making some decisions. You can have the pleasure of ordering a pipe every few months for a while, probably sticking with lower or moderately priced pipes, or you can decide to own fewer pipes and save up for more exalted higher priced examples.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I think ultimately I am aiming for about seven pipes total, but we will see....

I don’t have tons of money to spend, so as mso489 and others have highlighted, it makes sense to try to buy a pipe every several months or so. (I have a number of other things I could get to fully set up like a pipe rack).

I will browse and shop on instinct, certainly with no hesitation to buy a couple more relatively inexpensive briars to continue to develop my tastes in pipes around, but I am thinking out loud of maybe adding a rusticated pipe with a largish bowl and bent stem as my next major purchase - maybe with a budget of $75ish.

On another note, I bought a tin of Squadron Leader today. I want to start to explore blends with Latakia. - so it would be useful to have a few more pipes around... (one thing leads to another!)

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I will browse and shop on instinct, certainly with no hesitation to buy a couple more relatively inexpensive briars to continue to develop my tastes in pipes around, but I am thinking out loud of maybe adding a rusticated pipe with a largish bowl and bent stem as my next major purchase - maybe with a budget of $75ish.

In that price range, shape, and finish there are numerous Savinelli options that would fit the bill. Hard to find a better value in that price range than Savs. Same guys that made your Rossi.

Using Smokingpipes pipefinder, I can find dozens in moments:

Savinelli Tobacco Pipes | Buy Savinelli Tobacco Pipes at Smokingpipes - https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/savinelli/index.cfm?price=50&price=75&shape=5&shape=34&shape=6&shape=23&shape=7&shape=36&shape=8&shape=14&finish=3&finish=4&insidediameter=75&insidediameter=80&insidediameter=85&insidediameter=90&insideheight=15&insideheight=17&insideheight=19&sortOpt=default&displayNum=48

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
the question is, are you just looking for a tool to smoke tobacco, or looking for something that you will take pride and enjoyment for yrs to come.

if you are looking pipes as tools, most any reputable pipes will do.

if you are looking for your pride and joy, wait and browse until a pipe pops out at you. don't need to be expensive, there will be pipes that you just have to have.

whsergent

Can't Leave
Jan 8, 2020
My best smokers are cavicci, ser jac, brebbia and old english estates.

The pipes i most prefer to smoke are the english estates, just because they are more convenient.
Easier to handle when smoking, lighter easier to clench, fit nicely in just about any pocket and they just generally get out of the way and let you enjoy the tobacco.
If i were going to buy a pipe today, i would probably either buy a brebbia billiard shape or a mid 20th century english estate.

Aesthetically, imo, mid 20th century briar cant be beat for classic design.
If there is a platonic ideal pipe, i would guess its a pre 1980 GBD billiard, probably shape 124.

So if it were me, i would buy either an english estate or if you want a little flair a brebbia, Best bang for the buck imo, though i have somewhat limited experience given budgetary constraints.

But dont listen to me ,follow your bliss :)

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Having gone through all this over the years, I'd recommend buying less pipes but better pipes. Go for quality rather than quantity. Technically, 1 or 2 pipes will do you. With that said, you can easily acquire very nice looking and good/great smoking pipes on eBay in your present price range. Savinelli, Ascorti, Caminetto and a host of other Italian pipes would serve you well. I just STOLE a beautiful Caminetto Bulldog from Pipestud on eBay for $80. I couldn't believe it went for that price. So look at the sales for reputable eBay sellers like pipestud (who with the recent sabbatical of Coopersark is the best pipe seller on eBay for sure IMHO) and be patient. pipestud also has his own website with a number of nice pipes on it right now. Google search pipestud pipe consignment.

Good luck and have fun.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Personally, I’d wait for a pipe to speak to me and then if I could afford it take it home and see if I still wanted to live with it a few months or years later.

Do yourself a favor and buy the most pipe you are comfortable with but not so much you can’t afford to trade it off if you’re not loving it. Estates are a nice way to do this, but Rossi was a great way to start, so ... yeah, it’s like that.

+1 on this. Don't add a pipe just to add a pipe. Chances are you won't want it in a year. You know your budget and you know your style so stick to those. Estates are the best way to get the most pipe for less. The hunt is as exciting as the trophy so enjoy the hunt.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I’m a big fan of estates. There are some very good eBay sellers. Pipestud, Valitchka, ShinyPipes ( I guess there have been mixed reviews here, but I’ve purchased several pipes, from Shiny Pipes, all went well for me). Find the items that move you. Shape! Color, grain etc...

I have about 30 pipes 5 of which are cobs. Some new some estates. The most expensive is a Pete Silver Spigot and that’s under $200. So you can enjoy without breaking the bank. I like try different shapes and styles. Variety scratches my itch.

I will also +1 for the English estates. One of my favorite smokers is an Irwin”s billiard with Square shank. These were made by GBD I believe.

Enjoy the hunt.

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Cap’n Embers sir? I be wantin one a your pipes sir. Iffin’ ya take a mind ta sellin’ one, Cap’n sir, please remember your loyal and faithful powder monkey. Aye!

Reactions: docrameous
Status
Not open for further replies.