PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
I have my first Peterson due in the mail tomorrow. Posts like this really make it feel like a gamble. Like when you are waiting to board your plane, and see your Pilot accidentally trip on the carpet on his way up the gangplank.

I’m going to pretend I didn’t see this post and just wait for the mail. :LOL:
I would not worry too much. Peterson still sells more pipes than any other pipe maker (maybe second place?). we are talking about a product that is still largely hand made with an organic material at the core. It is not unreasonable to expect some level of product failure at the volume they do. The real question is what will SP and/or Peterson do about it. for every negative post, there are positive posts.

I am not a "Peterson is the best in the world" guy. I have two Peterson pipes (one of them from the Killarney line at issue here). neither of them are made perfectly, but they are both good smokers and pipes I enjoy. the finish on my Killarney is 20+ years old and looks as good as it did when it was new. My other Peterson is a System Spigot that is less than a year old. I have had no problem's with it.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
SP just got back to me and I'll need to mail it back for their inspection. I think that this problem arises from the gloss coating. I wouldn't be surprised if this was an issue with the Kilarney series. I like Peterson pipes, but this one didn't feel right from the start.
I am not trying to be an ass, so hopefully it will not come across that way. Maybe the lesson here is, if you are not fully satisfied when you get the pipe, send it back. If you are not satisfied in any way, you can always return a pipe to SP as long as you have not smoked it (30 day return period?) If it started to bubble on the first smoke, why did you not contact SP then?

FWIW, Peterson has made some "beautiful to my eyes" pipes in the past. I have no idea where the data is coming from that they sell more than any other pipe, but I wouldn't dispute it. Dr. Grabow keeps the factory cranking them out as well.

The high end Petes are still affordable, with reports that they smoke great. But, since I have been on this forum, I have seen weekly to monthly evidence that their lower level pipes just aren't all that great. Or, the QC on them isn't, or hasn't been in the past.

But, I am not knocking the pipes as much as their fan club that seems to start knocking the smokers who get one of these unfortunate pipes.

If one loves Petersons, great! If one hates Petersons, who cares. I have high hopes that Laudsi getting involved with them will maybe boost their QC, which is why I would bank on them making this right for you. I hope they do anyway. Good luck.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I haven't been here long but I visit the forum everyday and have only seen cosmic contribute positive things to this forum. It looks like he was just having a little fun, no harm intended.
and I have seen him advertise his business for free and flame those who disagree with him..
guess everyone sees things differently. ;)

Reactions: diamondback

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have a handful of Petes, none with problems. One of the bent Arans I have now displays about a dozen fills, but smokes just fine, as do all the others from several dozen different makers.

I recently acquired a system pipe, and like it a lot. I don't drool, or smoke wet tobacco, but I just like the concept of its design. There I take the stem out and leave it out for a day, (military mounted) something I never do unless the mortise is wet.

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
Paulie, if SP decides you can't return the pipe then you might consider attempting to re-apply the shellac. It's not a perfect solution but maybe you can salvage the situation?

Of course- this shouldn't have happened with a pipe at that price point to begin with.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Take it easy, BROBS. Yes, you need to be here a while to start figuring Cosmic out. He's got a unique personality and sense of humour which threw me off too when I first joined. Unfortunately, personality doesn't always come through very accurately in a written medium, even with all the emojis.

Cosmic's stance on Petes and cobs is well known to most veterans here (which is why I sometimes taunt him about cobs). In many respects I agree with him in regards to both Petes and cobs. Even my local tobacconist who actively sells and markets Peterson told me that the lower priced pipes are so-so, and that I'd need to go with one of the higher grades to avoid issues. I've refrained from buying Petes from all the horror stories I've heard here, not just from Cosmic. I also hope that now that Laudisi owns them most, if not all the issues will go away. Till then, though...

And I don't think Cosmic was shamelessly plugging his business here. He was reluctant to give the URL, but some of us kinda pressed him into it. Besides, most of his items aren't even remotely pipe-related, so how is sharing that spam in any way? Hell, I would be guilty of the same 'sin' by showing away my leatherwork, some of which IS pipe-related.

Again, take it easy mate. Cosmic is, well just Cosmic.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
SPC has a warranty for their pipes that is a year long, so if its a defect you should be good.

I picked up an ebony spigot 120 and the finish bubbled in two small spots. Not noticeable enough to send back but even their mid range pipes can have issues. I've had my share of issues over the years with Peterson and their QC could definitely use some improvement. Fortunately, most required only minor work, such as re-bending a stem correctly or taking a drill bit to remove crap inside the shank.

Has this stopped me from buying them? Nope! I like the way they smoke and have 20 or so in rotation.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd start with a phone call to SP to see what they can do for you. My experience is that they are excellent with customer service. Maybe simultaneously, you could phone, email or snail mail Peterson to see what they might do. The other option, if nothing else surfaces, is to let a pipe repairman renovate the pipe and you absorb the cost; that depends on how much you like the shape and basic materials of the pipe by now. I've been lucky with Petersons, about a dozen of them, but a similar experience would end my Pete purchases.

and I have seen him advertise his business for free and flame those who disagree with him..
guess everyone sees things differently. ;)
Wait, the only way that you think that I could have flamed you, is if you think that you were one of the fictional "fanatical Peterson Fan Club." Which I just made up, and had yet to see anyone participate in the thread in this manner. I was thinking about my friend Ash and a few others before I posted that.
I have thrown no shade at you, nor intended to. If you are offended by something that I posted, I apologize. And, I assure that it was quite unintentional.
I have been more than baffled at your posts, but this is the only thing that makes sense.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I was briefly in the "-PFC" awhile back. I wasn't fanatical, because I only had 1 pipe, but I was impressed with the pipe I did have. It was a straight bulldog with an amber stem that cost about $580.

Everything about it was perfect, as I would fully expect at that price. I just thought I would get more pleasure out of putting a 90 year old piece of amber in my mouth than I actually did. When it didn't happen, I sold it. I don't know what the hell I was expecting.

I won't ever buy another Peterson. I guess if you buy the expensive pipes, you'll probably get a good smoker, but I personally think there are better pipes to spend that kind of money on.

Everything else in their line just seems to have more problems than any other brand I am aware of.

That's saying something.

Maybe it's because they sell so many pipes and there are bound to be problems? I'm not sure. A few other companies sell a hell of a lot of pipes and I never hear anything about them in regards to poor quality.

Whatever their problem is, who knows? There's been lots of hand waving over that, a pointing to a mountain of old stock that is still out there.

For anyone who has been paying attention over the years, the name Peterson comes up a hell of a lot when someone is complaining about a crappy pipe.

If their new production/ownership really has fixed the problem, they should recall all of the junk pipes that are still floating around out there. People are going to keep picking them up and having them peel, break, stink, or whatever other problems are there, which sure as hell isn't going to help that brand. My local B&M probably has 50 of them on the wall. I doubt even 1 of them is new production.

elasmo

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2019
hehe my kilarney got wet...it got some of the red on another pipe. Makes me wonder what they use for finishing.

Reactions: diamondback
Status
Not open for further replies.