PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I found an old thread on this topic (2 years old), so I thought I'd start a new one. I know we have members all over the world, I thought it might be interesting to learn exactly where and maybe even share a photo of your town.
I'll start: I am located in central Vermont, USA a place called the Mad River Valley...
Here's a photo of our local ski area, Sugarbush:
valley-358x305-122111_1.jpg

And an arial view of the "big" town (happy to say that we still have no stop lights and the dirt roads outnumber the paved ones):
historic-waitsfield-in.jpg

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/c5/3d/b5/historic-waitsfield-in.jpg
http://www.madrivervalley.com/

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
I am from a fairly large town called Darlington in the North East of England.

Our claim to fame is we are the birthplace of the railway. The first train track ran from here to a town called Stockton just a few miles away. I don't think it was technically the first train on a track but it was the first commercial railway system and the first to carry any passengers at all.

It is a fairly normal town, with no great attractions other than perhaps the railway museum that is here and some quite interesting Victorian era history and nice buildings.

locomotion-no-1.jpg

dn4.jpg

dn2.jpg

2479536_fdd93e3d.jpg

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Currently located in Dallas, TX. Originally from Belgium, hence the nickname
SNewton: I think you're correct. If I recall from history lesson, the first train was Stockton-Witton Park, using Locomotion #1. But. Did you also know Belgium had the first commercial train in continental Europe between Brussels and Mechelen ;-)
At least we have that in common.. we should celebrate with a bowl ! :puffy:

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I come from a medium sized town in Oxfordshire UK. The earliest remains of people living here go back to Iron Age remains sated to 200BC. By the time of the Doomsday Book (1086 AD) the town had three mills and was valued at the grand sum of 45 Shillings.
The town is probably best know from the children's rhyme -
" Ride a cock-horse to Banbury Cross,

To see a fine lady upon a white horse;

Rings on her fingers and bells on her toes,

And she shall have music wherever she goes."
It has a canal running through the centre of the town which was once an important trade route.
Banbury_1.jpg

BANBURYCROSS2.JPG

Banbury-007.jpg

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Im pleased you cleared that nickname of your up Belgian Mick. I was curious how you got it :P

Im amazed you know that from a history lesson, they didn't even teach that to me when I was in school, and I bloody live here!

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Looks lovely withnail. I have never been but I have always had a soft spot for canals and anything with historic value.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Thanks Snewton, it is a nice place to live. With England being fairly small and inhabited since the last ice age, it's hard to get away from history! There are a lot of Roman Villas that have been found with about 50 miles from here. More recently, the birth place of Sir Winston Churchill and the last resting place of Princess Diana are both within a 20 minutes drive.
Darlington is a lovely place. And just as rich a history as this end of the country.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Ahh Churchill. A personal icon of mine. Good old Britain.

Cmon lets sing it, we almost outnumber the yanks in this thread at least!
Rule Britannia!

Britannia rule the waves

Britons never, never, never shall be slaves.
I do apologise, I don't know what came over me. *Puts down flag and plastic crown*

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
I don't live in a town, but live near one. Emerson, Arkansas... population 355. Although I have a home, I

don't stay there very much (as my poor wife can attest to, begrudgingly)... I'm at the lake for the time

being.... Have been since January 5th (went hone for the Super Bowl and Daytona 500). These are frequent

visitors to the lake... some Cormorants and Pelicans that like to hang out here. Beautiful birds I think!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
hanks Snewton, it is a nice place to live. With England being fairly small and inhabited since the last ice age, it's hard to get away from history! There are a lot of Roman Villas that have been found with about 50 miles from here. More recently, the birth place of Sir Winston Churchill and the last resting place of Princess Diana are both within a 20 minutes drive.
Great pics withnail. I've never been, but that is the reason why I've always wished to go. The rich history in England and Europe is just amazing.
@neverknowsbest That is a great photo of Columbus OH I have to say.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Now that is one thing I really admire the US for: the wide open spaces.

Over here you really struggle to find any proper wilderness. Everywhere is no more than a few minutes from a major road etc.

koscak

Lurker
Nov 26, 2012
Hello this is my town: Novo mesto , the town was founded on 07.04.1365, same day as university of wiena by Rudolf IV. Habsburg.

0400_novomesto_zps72a071f5.jpg

Green one is my block of flats :

blok_zpsee041e65.jpg

This is castle Otocec from year 1252 :

grad_otocec7_zpsb90d8b5c.jpg

This is wine Cellar Metlika:

895_Klet_metlika_578_zpsb284567c.jpg

This is river Kolpa:

DSC_0593_kolpa_big_zpsdf573351.jpg

We have many old castles, excellent wines and pure nature :), our tourism motto is " feel Slovenia "

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
I live on Tiger Mountain, in the foothills of the Cascades, near Seattle, Washington. There are no tigers here, at least that I know of, but there are cougars, bobcats, coyotes, and about ten billion raccoons, most of whom seem to live on my back deck.
The place is known for "Poo-poo Point," from whence paragliders launch, riding the thermals created by the narrow corridor between here and next-door Cougar Mountain, eventually landing (usually) in a small landing field one thousand feet below. On a nice day, there can be upwards of twenty fliers in the air, causing rubberneckers to create interesting traffic incidents on the bordering Issaquah-Hobart Road.

ebag

Might Stick Around
Feb 16, 2013
Originally from the Valley of the Great Smokey Mountains in a town called Maryville. Bustling little metropolis now. Though, all the cops STILL know my name and my face when I come back home on leave. haha
6a00e54ef8375388330120a7b1fca9970b-500wi

Currently, though, I'm stationed in beautiful sunny San Diego. Love it out here and if I'm not reenlisting, don't know just yet, than i may just stay out here.
images

Status
Not open for further replies.