PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
I am on a wonderful tobacco varieties exploration. I have done a boatload of research on tobacco qualities. I am still trying to put words to actual senses I get from smoking. I realize my next purchases of English varieties are going to be stronger. In another post I did was to ask about what tobacco best represents ex. Latkia bombs... which I will be ordering to better understand each variety over the other. So far my most intoxicating experiences have been with C&D Rajah's Court, Robert's "the original oriental," and sutliff English oriental. I am craving even more intensity. Are these similar in being well rounded blends oriental, lat... or are they stronger in a specific tobacco oriental, lat... all I know is that I go into a meditative state, lost in beauty of flavor and smell. It's hard to pin what I like best because still trying to decide. With these 3 I think it's the incense spicy(I assume oriental) that most intrigues me, sometimes it's like the incense scent of a campfire (assuming lat) that I like. But the weaving in and out is awesome. Back to the question, are these 3 a good blending or something more forward?

Reactions: JOHN72

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
Do u think what I like is more blended with what I smoked or something more predominant?

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Hard to say. But there are hundreds of English/Balkan style blends that are just slightly different amounts of Latakia, a few orientals, and Virginias.

Ultimately, I think you will need to do the trial and error like the rest of us.

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
Yea i do love the homework. Once I buy the bombs I am hoping to narrow down what I am experiencing. With the English I notice differences but also similarities if that makes sense. The English oriental also have similarities but my senses are hit on every level. I will be ordering a lot of "English and oriental " in the title mixes. I have the refined tastebuds with beer, learning with tobacco. That's why I will buy some bombs, just like a strong iPA hops vs a stout. If a beer drinker asked why does this ipa appeal to me over a lager. I would talk about more hops less burley, length of time, a 60 min more bitter vs a 120 sweeter and more floral. If you have that beer in hand while reading it starts to make sense. Lat and oriental sound simular on paper, my understanding smokier vs spicy but lat also sounds like it is spicy. I am enjoying the experience either way.

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Just my take.. Robert McConnel Original Oriental and C&D Rajahs Court are both pretty Oriental forward. I do recall Rajah's Court to have a fair amount of Latakia presence. Sutliff English Oriental, is also a very tame Oriental forward blend. Latakia is technically a sort of "smoke essenced" oriental leaf, so there are some similarities in the base flavor. The sort of sweet/sour and cooking spice flavors typically come from Oriental. If that's what you are digging on, then you might want to isolate the experience with blends that either contain very little Latakia or do not contain it at all, such as a Virginia/Oriental. I think the aforementioned Presbyterian is a good suggestion, as the Latakia is practically undetectable.
On the other hand, with the craving for intensity, I really want to suggest G.L. Pease Gaslight, or Quiet Nights. Those two really blew my socks off when I was looking for intensity, while still remaining very balanced.

Reactions: Kissel bixby

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
Had my first bowl of quiet nights and holy hell I was memorized. So far my best smoke to date. I think I narrowed it down to loving Balkans. Tonight I am going to smoke pirate kake to explore the latkia heavier tobacco world.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Mesmerized? Glad you're making good progress!

Please use standard English, and capitalize proper nouns such as the name of blends.