SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sep 9, 2023
Ok I know sounds weird but I know I'm not the only one. I'm a "builder". I build stuff. Yeah I know that is weird too. I mean I build houses, cars, motorcycles, carve stuff, sew clothes, pretty much anything working with my hands. Needless to say I have huge hands from this. My pointer finger is nearly an inch wide. I have to pack the pipe I have now (going to carve some of my own for more pipes) with my pinky and it has a fairly large bowl. So what do people do besides make their own to get pipes they can pack when they have massive hands? I've tried tools to pack and that doesn't work for me. Again I know this is a weird question, but I will want to buy pre-made pipes also, and I am trying to figure out how to find pipes with larger bowls. I am kind of new to this with quality pipes, not simple dr Grabow kind of stuff.

VDL_Piper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2021
Tasmania, Australia
I know your problem first hand 🤣 Being a farmer makes for some pretty large mits and little pipes can be tricky to load. I generally smoke pipes with a chamber width greater than 20mm simply because I get better flavour out of wider bowls. That said I do have narrower bowls and I tend to choose what I smoke in them more carefully. Narrow pipes I tend to stuff with flakes or gravity fill with cube cut which is just flake diced up.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Fingers don't work, and tools don't work.. Hmm. I don't know. Those are two that I would use. Can't really think of anything better to use. When you say tool, do you mean a pipe tamper? Or some screwdriver and such?

Reactions: JOHN72
Sep 9, 2023
@bullet08 yeah a tamper is the tool I'm referring to. I always pack too tight with them. My question is where do I find pipes with larger bowls? The shop I go to in Arlington Texas most of their pipes have the same size bowl as the one I have. They have some church wardens with larger bowls, but just basic sized pipes they carry have bowls my pointer finger gets stuck in. I can pack with my pinky finger and that is what I use. Looks funny, and have had a lot of people ask me what I am doing and why. I don't mind that, gives me a chance to teach someone something....

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Ok I know sounds weird but I know I'm not the only one. I'm a "builder". I build stuff. Yeah I know that is weird too. I mean I build houses, cars, motorcycles, carve stuff, sew clothes, pretty much anything working with my hands. Needless to say I have huge hands from this. My pointer finger is nearly an inch wide. I have to pack the pipe I have now (going to carve some of my own for more pipes) with my pinky and it has a fairly large bowl. So what do people do besides make their own to get pipes they can pack when they have massive hands? I've tried tools to pack and that doesn't work for me. Again I know this is a weird question, but I will want to buy pre-made pipes also, and I am trying to figure out how to find pipes with larger bowls. I am kind of new to this with quality pipes, not simple dr Grabow kind of stuff.
Glad you're not a proctologist or urologist rotf

Most online stores (eg SmokingPipes, Blue Room Briars, The Danish Pipe Shop) have a search function
You can put in the bowl dimensions and go on from there
It should be quite easy to find pipes with larger sized bowls or bowls with wider inner diameters eg pots

Be wary - a lot of pipes have very thick walls. So wide outer diameter, BUT the inner diameter is normal sized.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Savinelli 316KS has a wide bowl, 22+mm... and there are more. Should be easy enough to load and tamp. I'm sure there are some options for you without going custom or DIY... give a call to smokingpipes and tell them your interest and they can make some recommendations.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Look at pots. This type of pipe features a wide bowl. The larger pots have chambers that hover around 1" in diameter. They're not the most popular shape because of the wide bowls. They're not svelte
What pots are, are workhorses in which you can smoke just about anything and get great flavors and pick up the nuances of a blend. They beat the crap out of most of those fussy little confections that a lot of pipe smokers swoon over.
Your story reminds me of the jeweler I worked for while I was going to University. He had real mitts, thick fingers covered with callus from 60 years of manufacturing fine jewelry. He could pick up the smallest stone and plunk it right into a setting because those calluses kept it from sinking into his fingertips. He could make the most delicate gold tracerie work, solder tiny links holding them in his fingers, do incredibly involved, delicate and ornate hand engraving with those callused mitts. I watched him turn out waldemars, pocket watch chains, that were absolute perfection, the result of having apprenticed at the age of 5, in 1910. Big smart hands.

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
Try your hand(pun intended) at a Savinelli 320KS or Rossi 8320. The bowl ID is at least 1”. They’re fairly compact as well, about 5” long so easy to tote around. Just got a 320 & it is the pipe for blends with a lot of components.

Sigmund

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2023
France
I dont know what you are using for a tamper but if its light you may want to change to a heavier one. Then just use the weight of the tamber to help gauge how to pack. WIth big hands its easy to overdo it. So maybe a heavy tamper with a light touch would be the key. Just a guess.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
It’s like any tool you have - just learn to use a tamper properly for your needs or, as mentioned, gravity fill, but maybe that’s an issue because of the big fingers - you could get a little siphon like we have for canning jars but then you’ll need goggles because you’ll look like a mad scientist.

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
Try your hand(pun intended) at a Savinelli 320KS or Rossi 8320. The bowl ID is at least 1”. They’re fairly compact as well, about 5” long so easy to tote around. Just got a 320 & it is the pipe for blends with a lot of components.
Also look at JM Boswell Pipes. They have a series of Jumbo pipes that might fit the bill. They put several new pipes up online for sale on Mondays at 7:30 est, but you can email them & explain what you’re looking for. They’ll probably have a pipe that’ll work for you.