When Were Sunday Picnic and Opening Night Introduced?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
New Cigars
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I'm trying to find out if they were rolled out before or after February of 2007.

I typically search by oldest review date on tobacco reviews. Com, but the oldest I'm seeing for both of those is in the summer of 2007. So it is possible that they were released earlier but just did not get a review until later.

I put in a call to smoking pipes , but the person I got a hold of did not know and recommended I send in an email. Not sure how long it'll take to get to email back.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Are you me? I just went down this exact rabbit hole about a month ago. It was impossible to dig up an exact date and I pretty much Google shit for a living lol ...I gave up and e-mailed C&D. Jeremy Reeves himself kindly wrote me back and informed me that they were released after the 'cutoff date' but that the blends aren't going anywhere, all the necessary 'papers' have been filled out, etc.

These are two of my current favorites, just finished a bowl of Opening Night. I was really glad to read that they should be here to stay.

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Jeremy Reeves himself kindly wrote me back and informed me that they were released after the 'cutoff date' but that the blends aren't going anywhere, all the necessary 'papers' have been filled out, etc.
That's great news, indeed. I'm also a fan of both of blends but, more importantly, it's good to hear that at least one blender found it was worth the hassle to submit the paperwork and start jumping through the FDA hoops to ensure their blends can stay on the market.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Are you me? I just went down this exact rabbit hole about a month ago. It was impossible to dig up an exact date and I pretty much Google shit for a living lol ...I gave up and e-mailed C&D. Jeremy Reeves himself kindly wrote me back and informed me that they were released after the 'cutoff date' but that the blends aren't going anywhere, all the necessary 'papers' have been filled out, etc.

These are two of my current favorites, just finished a bowl of Opening Night. I was really glad to read that they should be here to stay.

very good news indeed. Both are on my cellar list.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
To be thorough, I went back and got the e-mail, here's most of it:

"Opening Night is certainly a favored blend of many of our customers and we fully intend to continue making it. I did come out after the grandfather date designated by the FDA deeming regulations, but there are pathways by which manufacturers can keep these kinds of products on the market. We are in full compliance and are pursuing these pathways with this and all the blends that we make that came out after that time."

So, I did paraphrase a bit from memory, but the message is pretty much the same.

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I got this rather promptly from SP:

"Thanks for contacting us. Both of these blends were originally produced in May 2007, a few months after the cut off for grandfathered. However, there is no cause for concern regarding the future availability of the blends. There are a number of factors that go into the FDA's review process beyond just the original date of production. We are confident that with all of the steps being taken to protect the available blends, that no currently available tobaccos will need to be discontinued due to the new regulations. "

Good news indeed

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I got this response last year from Jeremy.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the email. Briar Fox was actually made as far back as at least 2003, though you are right that the Burley Flakes came out later. Much with regard to the FDA is unsettled and there is very little in the way of clear guidance, or real legislation.
We are currently in full compliance with what has been implemented and we are confident that we will remain in compliance. We are dedicated to keeping all of our products on the market and see no forthcoming reason that that should change.

Kind regards,
Jeremy Reeves
Head Tobacco Blender
C&D

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Wow. Both of those emails are a breath of fresh air. Hopefully they’re not overly optimistic.

I agree. He obviously has more insight into these issues than I do, but that being said I do not regret stocking up on my favorites. I'm old enough to know that some things come out of left field and blow up your plans. So while it looks like they are going to do everything they can to make sure all Blends stay in production, bad stuff still happens.

Cellar deep and wide, my friends.

Worst case scenario you have a bunch of nicely aged blends to smoke up. Worst, worst case scenario you have a bunch of finely aged blends that you can sell for at least what you bought them for.

Status
Not open for further replies.