When Was The Last Time You Bought A Blend That Was New To You?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This question was raised in another thread and I thought it may make for an interesting thread of its own.
For me it was Mac Baren HH Burley Flake back in May 2018.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I buy a new tin almost every two weeks. I buy it and add it to an ever-changing list of blends I will eventually get through. Last one I purchased was the Wessex Gold Brick. It is a medium Virginia plug (comes wrapped in plastic, not a tin) that is fun to cut up and even more pleasurable to smoke.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Two weeks ago, I scored a tin of Rattray's Exotic Passion at my local B&M.
I've not yet broken into it. I may crack it open for St. Patrick's Day or the first day of spring.
Or maybe Saturday. Saturday's a special occasion, right?
jay-roger.jpg

Jan 8, 2013
I have my favorites now, but I'm still trying new things. Most recent in the last few months have been Milan's Christmas Blend, The Country Squire's Old Toby and Rivendell, and Hearth & Home Fusilier's Ration. I have a list of other blends I'll be trying soon. Old Toby is a new serious favorite. So I'm glad I haven't quit buying the occasional new blend. Otherwise I probably would never have known how much I'd like it.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
The other day I bought Ashton Guilty Pleasure for the first time. Last week's purchase of Three Nuns, Wallace Flake, Brown Twist Sliced, and Black Irish X were all new to me. The week before was my first purchase of Pete Balkan Delight. Etc. etc. etc...
I mostly buy new stuff since there are so many things I haven't tried. Since I returned to pipe smoking last year, I think the only things I bought more than once were MM965, The Aperitif, University Flake, Nightcap, and Bayou Night.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Edward G Robinson's pipe blend is the latest new tin buy

Before that I think it was Peterson Sherlock Holmes

pipehunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2016
A few weeks ago I bought some RO Series Acadian English. Before that, a few of months ago, it was the Country Squire's Shepherd's Pie.
Quite a few members note that they are all set for tobacco. I envy them. My cellar has enough to last me a couple of lifetimes, but my curiosity for new blends remains.

secateurs

Lurker
Feb 24, 2019
I have yet to get the same tobacco twice, but I just picked the hobby back up a couple months ago. Still a candy store to this kid.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
A few weeks ago...GH Bob's Chocolate Flake and SG Black Forest. Enjoying both of them.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
My cellaring has gotten a lot more focused over the last little bit: I'm more interested in amassing a good quantity of things I really like than in continuing to try every blend out there. However, I did snag a couple tins of Exhausted Rooster on IPSD, since they were on a pretty good sale from smokingpipes.com

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
With the exception of Black Frigate, Nording Labrador, and Maltese Falcon, pretty much everything I've been buying has been new to me, but the most recent has to be the Old Toby I got from the Country Squire last week. The next purchase I'm making is one of the English blends that Boswell's is making. I'm slowly figuring out what I like, what I love and what I don't particularly care for.

I buy at least one new blend every month. This is why I never say that my cellar is large enough, and I will never buy any more tobacco. While, I could probably smoke from my cellar until I die, I would rather keep trying new blends. I try to buy at least six tins of anything new, to try now, and then try again as it ages. So far, I have only had a couple of instances of regretting buying six tins of a new blend. The last one to buy was that Sutliff Red Krumble Cake with Perique. I hated the 515, but will give this one a try. Worst case scenario, I just let the tins ride in the cellar for twenty years and try it again.

aro222

Can't Leave
Mar 17, 2018
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Just put an order in yesterday for some new stuff

I’m mostly an aromatic guy but recently I’m starting to branch out and I have to say I’m really enjoying it

Picked up

C&D burley flake #2

Dragon flake

St Bruno flake

Ennerdale

And a tin of emp

I’m really enjoying the lat blends that I’ve tried so far

Lakeland’s are great

Interested in the burleys have yet to try one

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
G&H Dark Birds Eye.
Almost reminds me of ODF but in a shag cut. Really strong and burns fast with a big time nicotine hit. I'm experimenting with using it as a mixer to wake up some weaker blends and that's working out fairly well.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I went to a new shop last Saturday. I bought some Amaretto tobacco. I used to say that I was 1/3 aromatic and 2/3 non-aromatic. Perhaps this is changing. I bet it changes again.

Status
Not open for further replies.