When to Stop Buying Tobacco and Focus on Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Winslow Pipes
4 Fresh Todd Johnson Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
156 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I myself, am going hard on tobacco untill the Feds make things difficult. I think pipes are always going to be around. I smoke cobs and estate pipes now. I'll buy the occasional pipe here and there but I'm never in the market for a pipe over $100.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
I'm trying to enjoying pipe smoking not suffering.

To do that I need a balance of tobacco and pipe purchasing as much as I can.

Right now I'm little low in tobcco stocking (not various kinds,about 10 pounds)

and very high in pipes(about 80 pipes).

My wife's voice tone indicate that very well. I got to try downsizing pipes even it's not easy(feel sad)

and buy little more kinds of tobaccos.

Good luck to everyone to balance well.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
It's all about the tobacco for me.
It does me no good to have expensive pipes and nothing to smoke in them. My focus has been to keep buying tobacco. As time goes on and I realize a disability will end my working days, I can sacrifice the delivery system over the lack of something to put in it...

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Pipes aren't going to rise in price, tobacco will. I say have a rotation of pipes and concentrate on tobacco, once your cellar is at a good 50 pounds plus, then concentrate on pipes. Of course get some good estates, but I think tobacco prices will rise dramatically sooner than later. Just think when 50 gram tins are 25$ and up, you can concentrate on buying pipes because your cellar will be complete. Don't take it to a peck level where you'll have more tobacco to be buried with then to smoke in your lifetime of course.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Now Peck buys tobacco not only because he likes tobacco, but it's an investment. Like others have said, the price of tobacco isn't going down. And people pay decent money for aged tobacco these days. He's got the means to buy and store it, and anyone else can do the same I they so desire.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Depends on why you are buying. If it's simply for smoking pleasure I'd say get a good solid rotation of pipes and then concentrate on tobacco. I'd rather have a lot of wine and a few glasses than the reverse.
If you are collecting, then go nuts on both. I don't grok the whole "investment" strategy for pipe buying. I just like pretty pipes and want to own them from time to time.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I also though about this and agree especially with psychpipes. Started in August, 2014 and bought 14 various pipes for rotation purposes, all of them from sales with retail prices from $150.00-$8.99(MM). I have since purchased only tobacco making the most of sales from the various sponsors. I now have 80 lbs and the goal is to hit 100 lbs before I retire next year. Tobacco prices will only rise and also the sure tax increases, tobacco cost will not be lower.
Regarding estate pipes, I will just never buy one, my psyche just will not allow it. The thought of someones's mouth and saliva on it just makes me gag. I know, they are cleaned and sanitized, just like restaurant dishes and silverware, but I just can't do it. So my feelings are is that I will have all the tobacco I need, I will be able to get cheap new artisan pipes at my leisure since I will have the baccy and what good is a $1000.00 artisan pipe with out something to smoke in it.
So keep buying pipes guys and gals and I will keep buying tobacco. I will give you my email for the future black market purchases. LOL

Dec 24, 2012
Now Peck buys tobacco not only because he likes tobacco, but it's an investment.
Actually, I don't buy tobacco as an investment and have no expectations in that regard. If I want an investment I will buy stocks and real estate. I buy tobacco because I like tobacco.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Will Canadian tobacco policies spur a new brain drain to America? That is the unexpected question arising from this discussion.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
After thinking about this I am going to spend 2015 gathering more tobacco. I should be able to acquire at least another 15 pounds or more, especially since I just discovered a bulk tobacco I really enjoy. I have well over 25 blends and would say I am quit satisfied with my cellar. Not that I won't purchase anymore I would say I would not persue it as I do now.

Status
Not open for further replies.