When to dump the ash and light up again?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Chacom Pipes
3 Fresh Bill Shalosky Pipes
18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes
36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
36 Fresh Rattray's Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
When you tamp you push the ember to the unlit tobacco. I might dump the pipe upside down and a super gentle tap before a relight at half a load or so and whatever falls out falls out. Really it’s up to you, happy piping!
This is what I do as well.

Andriko

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2021
London
I've found this i only an issue with deep bowls, where the ash naturally piles up and relighting becomes a bit tough, and will also occasionally interfere with the flavour. I find it helps in these circumstances to gently tap out some of the ash about half to two thirds of the way into the smoke.

Reactions: Egg Shen and JOHN72

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
When you tamp you push the ember to the unlit tobacco. I might dump the pipe upside down and a super gentle tap before a relight at half a load or so and whatever falls out falls out. Really it’s up to you, happy piping!
+1 ☝️

As of tonight there are 26,054 members here ... you will probably get that many opinions but they will all generally be the same as above.

Reactions: aspiring_sage

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
did they offer a reason? i know with cigars ash can provide a mild wind barrier minor being the key word. i wonder if that is what they were thinking. other option is you were dumping ashes on their carpet. or seriously in draught conditions could be a fire hazard

Reactions: JOHN72

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
Lately I’ve been trying something like this: when I can tell the bowl is going out I’ll use the poker to gently move the ash from the outside edge of bowl and the resulting increased air flow will often get it going again. Combined with a gentle tamp. This seems to cancel or reduce the need to dump ash. YMMV.

This seems to work better on my wider bowls. As long as I enjoy experimenting with different techniques I feel like I’m learning. Enjoy the process.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I'll dump ash when it interferes with lighting/relighting or starts affecting the taste. On average I guess I dump ash once per bowl. As others have noted it also depends on the pipe chamber size and tobacco. It's largely a matter of personal preference, try the suggestions above and see what works for you.

JACFAN

Lurker
Jul 6, 2022
I agree with Steddy. The real part is maintaining good airflow. Removing the Ash sideways or dumping it completely and tamping etc. are activities that support a good airflow and hence a good burn. Slowing down your cadence during the last one- third of the bowl also helps.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
At the moment I use the technique or whatever you want to call it, of not throwing the ashes away, until I am completely finished. Even in my MM General pipes. Which means few ignitions for me. I try to smoke, cooking the tobacco, giving fire to that layer of ash, which acts as a lid to a pot. But just use the method that you like the most, that gives you the best sensations and benefits.

Reactions: kcghost

Chaukisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 31, 2021
Northern Germany
I never dump the ash. I tap it down when the draw gets too light and stir it up and kinda mix it with the coal after I let the pipe go out, which is usually when I smoked a little more than half of the bowl.
I light it again and enjoy the rest of the bowl.
After the pipe has cooled down I stir everything up calmly, place my hand on top of the bowl with a tissue paper inbetween and shake the thing up so the chamber gets coated in a layer of fine ash. I heard that it helps the pipe with moisture. Then let it sit until I want to clean it and put it away.

Reactions: yanoJL and JOHN72

StringBEan

Might Stick Around
Jul 27, 2022
Alabama
I often find myself absent-mindedly tunking out the ashes about halfway through a bowl. It’s a habit from my… more adventurous days. Those ashes choked the cherry out almost every time. I have noticed that leaving ashes on tends to lead to a slightly cooler smoke, but also a thinner smoke. But, as stated Ad Infinitum, it’s entirely up to the smoker. We all smoke a pipe a bit differently, and there really isn’t a problem with that. As long as you enjoy the smoke, do what you’ve always done.