When the PipeGods Give You Lemons, Make Lemonade (Barling Quaint rescue)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The "shorten the shank & lengthen the stem" repair isn't common, but almost always doable.

Here's a Dunhill Canadian (4109) in the Cumberland finish that had the same sort of break.

The only part of the fix that didn't work out in this case is a couple letters of the nomenclature were lost. Otherwise it's a good as new. The owner likes the balance of the repaired pipe better than the original, in fact, as well as the gentler slope rate of the new stem (he's a clencher.)

(The black vs. Cumberland was by request)

P1050121.JPG
P1050123.JPG
P1050126.JPG

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I’ve done that with pipes before. Kinda nerve wracking getting everything jigged and lined up.

This Sasieni “CANADIAN” had to have 3/8”-1/2” removed and I made a new stem for it. I sanded the shank end a bit so it would match up with the stem. Then I rusticated that end so it (sort of) matched the rest and re-stained.

the new mortise was a fraction of a degree out of true, but hey, I work for cheap…

0B9E92A2-747F-464A-80EB-73AB5CCC86DA.jpeg

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Such elegant work. Not just lemons into lemonade; more lemons into a magnum of Dom Perignon or a string of pearls. I too prefer the proportions (and execution of the stems) of both the repaired Barling and Dunhill to the originals. Bravo, georged!

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
The "shorten the shank & lengthen the stem" repair isn't common, but almost always doable.

Here's a Dunhill Canadian (4109) in the Cumberland finish that had the same sort of break.

The only part of the fix that didn't work out in this case is a couple letters of the nomenclature were lost. Otherwise it's a good as new. The owner likes the balance of the repaired pipe better than the original, in fact, as well as the gentler slope rate of the new stem (he's a clencher.)

(The black vs. Cumberland was by request)

View attachment 164517
View attachment 164518
View attachment 164519
Hello George,

Spectacular ! Why the black stem , not a brindle/cumberland one ?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
You are in a class of one George!
This fitment looks better than the factory stem, amazing.

Attachments

• P1050126.JPG
    P1050126.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 1