PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I'm a 95% Virginia smoker, and have been struggling to get good taste this week. Don't know if it's allergies or abrupt increase in humidity, but my reliable blends started tasting rough for lack of better words. I even deep cleaned all my regular pipes on Monday. I branched out to some DFK and burley blends, but they were even worse.

So, I said fook it, and revisited the Mothership by opening a tin of McClelland's Butera Golden Cake. Straight from the tin humidity, light it up and I'm met with wonderfully sweet, tangy, and smooth smoke. One less tin in my cellar now, but I bought them to smoke. Reiterates to me that I have found new blends I enjoy from many brands, but nothing yet that matches my old McClelland favorites. (I know, cry me a river).

Just lamenting the loss of my favorite brand for 20+ years and celebrating the genius of Mike & Mary. Feel free to pull up a stool, crack open a saved tin, and join the party!puffy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Though definitely a burley guy, I have two tall tins of McClelland Virginia blends aging that I look forward to with relish. It's not just nostalgia; the brand did Virginia blends like no one else. They just can't be matched.

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I agree. I have been going through a lot of Virginia samples that were given to me, and while some were very good, a lot did not do anything for me. I then broke into my stash of McClelland 925, aged since 2015, and wow, it was incredible. Definitely one of the top five smokes I have ever had. Creamy, sweet, with light Latakia notes in the background leading into a wonderful natural aroma.

I am starting to understand why many say that we will never be able to replace McClelland.

Reactions: cornedbeef

magicpiper

Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I always think that's funny. There was so much hate for McClelland's ketchup and barbecue sauce when they were still in business. Now they're the greatest thing ever. Glad I went against the grain and stocked up.?
I will put ketchup on anything that doesn’t move. I naturally fell in love the first time I tore open a can of Christmas Cheer and smelled that delicious Heinz, vinegar, ketchup smell. McClelland VA’s make my mouth water like no other tobacco. I do love them so. I cellared deep when I had the chance.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
My McClelland experience and cellar is not deep. I had one tin each of 7 different blends. I’ve really enjoyed the two I’ve opened, one so much it is gone, the other will be gone soon. I look forward to the other 5 but I am not rushing to crack them open. The feeling of finishing your last tin of a no longer produced blend combined with the challenge of accessing comparable replacements in Canada slows the roll a bit. I may end up stretching the remaining tins out over the next 5 1/2 years! I’ll smoke other blends as well but I’ll make these last.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
It really breaks my heart that I will never know McClelland like you guys do. ?
I know how you feel. McClelland was gone before I was introduced to this hobby, but it's been fun exploring and finding other stuff. Pipe tobacco is exactly like the beer hobby, so I've come to accept that there are just things that it will never get to try. However, I ended up meeting a lot of people in the beer hobby and unexpectedly had vintage, rare, and unobtainium stuff shared with me, so there is a chance something similar could happen with pipe tobacco. I likewise try to share the love when possible and find just as much enjoyment in that.

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
I know how you feel, I did the same thing about 10 days ago. Other stuff wasn’t cutting it so I cracked a tin of Tudor Castle from 2007:

EDA1D294-6EC8-4889-9314-5817F2E45A8C.jpeg

I’ve got plenty of my favorites cellared (this one, #24, Blackwoods, Beacon Extra, 40th, 3 Oaks Syrian, Wilderness, 20 years worth of Christmas Cheer), over 40lb in all. But it still feels a little wrong when I open one up. Then I just remember that it’s only good for one thing and sitting on the shelf isn’t it.

elessar

Apr 24, 2019
I just missed the boat on McClelland. Starting getting back into pipes right before they closed. So sadly other than a tin of Labrador and a 10 year old jar of Frogmorton, I have no McClelland tins to open. Seems like they did it right though!

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I know how you feel, I did the same thing about 10 days ago. Other stuff wasn’t cutting it so I cracked a tin of Tudor Castle from 2007:

View attachment 28970

I’ve got plenty of my favorites cellared (this one, #24, Blackwoods, Beacon Extra, 40th, 3 Oaks Syrian, Wilderness, 20 years worth of Christmas Cheer), over 40lb in all. But it still feels a little wrong when I open one up. Then I just remember that it’s only good for one thing and sitting on the shelf isn’t it.
Could you possibly be persuaded to part with one of your tins of Beacon? ???

Status
Not open for further replies.