PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
With pipes, the Minimalist concept of stripping a design down to its bare essentials, and casting aside any elements that do not contribute to the beauty or function of an object or space, can be expanded to include materials.

In this case, a flaw-free piece of briar.

This pipe doesn't have flashy grain---straight, birdseye, or something unusual enough to be noteworthy---just full coverage and good density. It's simply solid and "pure". Briar at its functional optimum.

And the design itself couldn't be less flashy or more functional: Two cylinders of the right proportions (the bowl is actually slightly conical, but that's an optical-trick thing), with a simple, blade-style, uber-comfortable stem.

The end.

Even the stamping is only maker, shape number, and grade. In plain block letters.

I really like this pipe. 👍

P1050843.jpg
P1050846.jpg
P1050845.jpgP1050847.jpg
P1050848.jpg

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I admire anyone who touts minimalism these days. It flies in the face of every aspect of modern society (a noble enough attribute in itself), but that's not primarily why I admire it. Rather, because it elucidates absolute, pure contentment with whatever it is, just the way it is. That's something that's difficult to attain these days--the irony of materialism is that, inexplicably, it never really results in that feeling of contentment, of satisfaction, of appreciation of the thing. This irony, to me, is the origin of "less is more."

Oh, and the pipe is nice too. 👍

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I love my Punto Oro pipes. The Giubileo D'oro is next on my list!

However that took me longer to type than I wanted. GDO from now on.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
One of the things I fight as a pipemaker is guys who bring 350 ideas, all of which are good ideas on their own, into their commission. Sandblast, but smooth rim, contrasting band on the stem, probably cumberland, etc and it just gets ugly so fast. I call it the Macaroni Art school of pipe design. If something looks good, two of it must necessarily look better.

Plain and perfect wins every time. But that's very difficult on a pipe by pipe basis.

IMG_0633.JPG

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
One of the things I fight as a pipemaker is guys who bring 350 ideas, all of which are good ideas on their own, into their commission. Sandblast, but smooth rim, contrasting band on the stem, probably cumberland, etc and it just gets ugly so fast. I call it the Macaroni Art school of pipe design. If something looks good, two of it must necessarily look better.

Plain and perfect wins every time. But that's very difficult on a pipe by pipe basis.

View attachment 169082
This is what I like. Simple. Basic. Beautiful. I don't want bling, crazy curves, or the like.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
I've been a professional in the design world for over a decade and I'm sick of minimalism. What was once cutting the fat has turned in to a crutch for too many designers. Myself included.

As nice as a simple pipe is this is the kind of stuff that takes my breath away nowadays.

Meerschaum-Pipes-ALTINAY-1-14.jpg
ALTINAY_MEERSCHAUM_4553_2022-01-13.jpg
Meerschaum_Pipes_ALTINAY_0364_20190417.jpg
Meerschaum-Pipes-ALTINAY-2-11.jpg

I say bring back ornamentation! I wanna see gilt, motifs, florals and baroque lines! I want to feel like Captain Nemo when I pick up my pipe.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
What's the story on this one? Yours? Where'd it come from? Keeping it? Inquiring minds and all...

Back in the 1980's I got to know the Savinelli rep for the Western US states while living in Arizona, and he'd ring me to meet him at the first B&M on his list each time he got a new Batch 'O Stuff.

I got to cherry pick Golden Jubilees, in other words. :col:

This is one of those. The minimalist Spartan Thing talked to me even then.

FWIW, the new Savinelli operation is decidedly not the same as the old one. What was once best described as Old School family business values has been replaced by hype-ish advertising, cost accountants, and the bar lowered detectably when it comes to workshop talent/skill/craftsmanship.

What else is new, right? :cry:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I've been a professional in the design world for over a decade and I'm sick of minimalism. What was once cutting the fat has turned in to a crutch for too many designers. Myself included.

As nice as a simple pipe is this is the kind of stuff that takes my breath away nowadays.

View attachment 169091
View attachment 169092
View attachment 169093
View attachment 169094

I say bring back ornamentation! I wanna see gilt, motifs, florals and baroque lines! I want to feel like Captain Nemo when I pick up my pipe.

Thats a bit of an apples vs. oranges argument. Meers like those are definitely eye-catching, but they're also impractical as frequent-use smokers.

I say let the MISSION determine the optimum design, and work back from there.

Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 10.19.07 PM.png

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
For handmade pipes, I’ve always considered the typical Danish Pickaxe Freehand to be the ultimate in functional minimalist design.

Most of them have a universal stem, like a Missouri Meerschaum.

The artisan choses a big plateaux of briar, hopefully well seasoned (but often not) and chases the grain. The chambers are hand cut to size, the pipe is drilled, and it can be sandblasted, rusticated, or left smooth as desired.

They are sort of an acquired taste in appearance, but might be the best smokers available, if you believe bigger briars smoke better.

688F071C-99DE-4FF7-AC7D-C6DBAB663CB6.jpeg

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Thats a bit of an apples vs. oranges argument. Meers like those are definitely eye-catching, but they're also impractical as frequent-use smokers.

I say let the MISSION determine the optimum design, and work back from there.

View attachment 169098
Yeah in reality functional classic designs make up 95% of my pipe collection. I'm more just ranting about minimalism and the prevalence of flat design in general. Architecture's usually the worst in that regard.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Yeah in reality functional classic designs make up 95% of my pipe collection. I'm more just ranting about minimalism and the prevalence of flat design in general. Architecture's usually the worst in that regard.

Sturgeon's Law applies to things WITHIN things... meaning that 90% of minimalist designs are crap.

In fact, in its case the percentage is probably higher, since minimalism is an obvious magnet for cost-cutting and refuge for people without talent & ideas.