When is the last time you actually "Won" something off of Ebay?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
I've been known to lurk on the bay looking for that diamond in the rough, or some treasure that has been overlooked for some reason from time to time. Generally I check out all of the pipes that meet my criteria that are closing in the next 24 hours, or checking the freshly posted "Buy it Now" listings in the hopes that a seller has a gem that they may not have researched and post well under market value. I really enjoy Danish Freehands, and have been searching for sometime for a Celius Fantasy. This weekend while making my rounds on the bay I happened upon a Celius Fantasy that had appeared to go unnoticed. It was about midnight and the pipe had like 8 hours left. As it has been a month for bucket list pipe purchases, I figured "What the hell, why not!". I placed a rather meager bid and went to bed shortly there after. I awoke Sunday morning, and to my amazement, I had "Won" the auction. Feelings of excitement were soon trumped by feelings of doubt. I thought to myself, "I must have missed something, it must be flawed and the other guys just passed on it." Well the pipe arrived today. I opened the box fearing the worst. Thoughts like "burnout" and "cracked shank" were racing through my mind. Guess what guys and gals, I freaking won on Ebay! Not only was the pipe in perfect condition, it's unsmoked! :nana: :puffpipe:

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Nice score. Really like that pipe. I have "won" a lot of pipes. Only once did I go for it and laid down what I consider to be some serious $$$. Otherwise, I consider all of the pipes I won to be good/great deals.

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
I bought many pieces from treasurepipes, bruyerepipes and many other German sellers. Everything is about the pipes themselves. After a few months, you only regret that you missed a great pipe, not the extra $€ you spent if something's really nice.

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
It's been forever, but I have won pipes before. I think my Vauen was a buy now, but I had a Wellington that was a great bid buy and a good smoker. Which I later gave to a friend who I thought deserved it. Anyway, looks like you really hit the jackpot!
Also, Halfy, I agree regarding not stressing the money spent for a quality pipe one really wants.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Last month I "won" an unsmoked Stefano Santambrogio with a silver band. I broke it in and used it to win a long smoke competition last week. It will smoke.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
SS, as far as I know Celius made 3 lines of pipes. He made his chess series, which I believe the King is the highest grade, his Zenia series, which was named for his daughter and had only a short production period, and the "Fantasy" series which were some of his more imaginative shapes. The Fantasy series pipes were graded on a scale of 1-6 with 6 being the highest grade. I'm proud to say this pipe is a 6, the pictures really don't do it justice. I just used a cell phone with less than optimal lighting.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A few years ago, I read some back issues of Pipesmokers Ephemeris, references to Celius pipes were frequent and highly regarded. I was familiar with the Chess series, I gather they are the most common. That 6 looks smashing!

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Looks great. But the chamber doesn't look "unsmoked" in your picture. What are we looking at in there?

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
Jmatt, I believe the pipe is unsmoked as there seems to be only a black coating on the inside of the chamber. There is no odor of tobacco or smoke and there is no evidence of cake or carbon, unless I'm mistaken and the black coating is in fact carbon. The "coating", however does not come off when i run my finger nail across it. When I removed the stem, the untreated briar shows no signs of smoke or tar. I could be wrong, and thank you for the compliment! :puffpipe:

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I've killed it on Ebay this year. I just won (am and waiting on delivery of) a beautiful Ascorti Sabbia Di Oro silver flock pipe for $35. I also picked up a Comoy's Tradition with a 3-part "C" for $30, A Tom Eltang designed Stanwell for $38, and a Charatan London England Special for $40!

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
@ death, lol I put that there just for YOU! From what I hear Royal Yacht was Joseph Stallins favorite tobacco, I also heard that he never cleaned his pipes which created quite a stench about him.

jdhayes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2016
Won a 7739 drinkless kaywoodie for 12.99 yesterday. Probably because it was just labeled "vintage pipe". It's my first 4 digit kaywoodie. Fingers crossed its in good condition. But for $13 I took the chance.

deathandtaxes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2014
Indianapolis IN
Wow, there's been some great success stories shared here, I've find that the bay can often times be crap shoot. So far I think I've "won" more than lost, so I guess I'll keep at it!

Status
Not open for further replies.