PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Over half of my collection are "estate" pipes and I've never paid over $50 for one of them. Among them are Ascorti, Castello Sea Rock, Ben Wade by Preben Holm, Preben Holm, Peterson Kapp-Royal, Salmon & Gluckstein, Savinelli, Soren, and a couple of meerschaums. I also have a 1926 Dunhill that could be considered an estate that was given to me. There are a number of other lesser known brands that I've become attached too because of the history. I have a Linkman Hollycourt Special for example. Linkman became Dr. Grabow in the late 1930s/early 1940s.

I have been fishing for a new Stannwell as well. Nice score!!
I'm just not as crazy about the new Barontini made Stanwells. They've lost a lot of their classical Danish qualities, IMO.
but, you can find an Eltang, Ivarsson, or Chonowitsch made Stannie out there from time to time.

Nice pipe, and I hope she smokes really well for you.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I have been fishing for a new Stannwell as well. Nice score!!
I'm just not as crazy about the new Barontini made Stanwells. They've lost a lot of their classical Danish qualities, IMO.
but, you can find an Eltang, Ivarsson, or Chonowitsch made Stannie out there from time to time.

Nice pipe, and I hope she smokes really well for you.
Thank you sir, if I would buy a stanwell it would have been a Danish one.

There are some GC (eltang finished) and a Chonowitsch pipes for sale at danishpipeshop, as you can shop tax free over there....

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think there are bound to be more variables with estate pipes than with major brand new pipes. For new pipe smokers who don't have experienced advice, I think a newbie will do better with a new pipe. No cleaning or restoration needed. No cake, and no ghosting. No mysteries about which era of the pipe brand is good, and which not. No damage a newbie can do with a reamer. Etc. The idea is to start smoking and master the technique and not worrying too much about the smoking tool. There's still all the esoteric hoopla about filters; it's simple enough but totally obscure to a new pipe smoker.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I'm just not as crazy about the new Barontini made Stanwells.
I've one that I bought from pipestud. I'm pretty happy with it. I think it looks very Danish; supposedly designed by Bjarne and even has his face on the box. The stem logo is not seen because pipestud twisted it to the other (wrong) side, heh.
s-l1600-jpg.13281

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Great choice going with Stanwell there OP.
To answer that original question a bit late. For me it is a question of, do I like the shape but not the lower standards of production of the modern era.
For example, I quite like the Peterson 302, but the new pipes they make are not in any way the same quality that they were back in the 80s or earlier. Which leaves 2 options, first being trying to find NOS, 2nd is estate.
Then it is worth it to me, after a bit of cleaning and polishing you end up with a great pipe, rather than an OK pipe that costs more than the used one.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Another thought, a new user can obtain/experience several types more economically buying used pipes. I've been pleased with the few I have found and usually paid around $30-50. Also, with an estate type you don't have to be that concerned about maintaining. The only pipe I pamper is the Peterson, but not as much as some here do. The Pete fell out of my hands while trying to clean the other day and rolled around on the hardwood floor without a smidgeon of damage.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I dived in and bought new but older model pipes, was taken with the Nording Hunter series, and did buy a new Peterson Baskerville that was also an older year's model, and same with a purchase this summer. If they ever arrive, have a couple of older but new on the way. None were wildly expensive, IMO.

Also commissioned a pipe last year and that was fun and very well worth it, again, not wildly expensive. And I expect I'll go that route again, but likely wait until after the holidays. Have an idea . . .

But . . . now that I'm a little more "educated" courtesy of this site and its members I find myself looking almost exclusively at estate pipes on some reputable sites - right now it is more about whether I'll add any. Kind of developed some ideas about what shape I'd like to see, etc. in a couple if I get more and so I just look at the pics, get ideas, and a few even "spoke" to me last night and this morning, lol, but not finding it that hard to resist - need to spend more time with the ones I have for now. But I'd say other than maybe another commission, it's 100% I'll go the estate route for any future pipes in the short term.

Reactions: OzPiper