PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great posts George and great info. I am going to pm you with a question on 2 pipes I don't want to mess with your thread. I would never dare to piss you off. lol

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Well George, I was wrong. I had to go review my notes...........
The patent # 1341418/20 led me to believe it was 1930's........... BUT I overlooked the "Dunhill Shell" nomenclature............. a 30's pipe would have a "Dunhill's Shell" (possessive) marking.

Those wartime pipes are tricky bastards, and trip me up everytime.

Sorry for the confusion............ cray

I will offer a thesis on the "original" stem.

1943 saw vulcanite severely rationed.......... most went to the war effort. Most pipes produced during the war had horn stems. I've read (but have no proof) that Dunhill later would replace the horn stems with vulcanite after the war...........

I'm wondering if your stem was a genuine Dunhill replacement? I can imagine that they didn't spend a LOT of time on them, as I understand they did it as a courtesy......... Maybe that's why the tenon was a bit short?......... A quick and easy, as opposed to a true Dunhill fitment?

Many mysteries around these old pipes........... I sure do miss Mr. Loring.............. puffy

10-4 on all that.

Most people say if they suddenly had a phone-booth-sized time machine they'd use it to buy Apple stock when it was a dollar a share or something like that.

Me? I'd go back to 1920's London and soak up everything I could about the big name pipe making outfits.

(What would actually happen to anyone with a time-portal phone booth is they'd get sick and probably die not long after the arrived at their destination, because they'd have ZERO immunity against ANY infectious strain of ANY disease bug they encountered so would catch them all at once. But stuff like that takes the fun and romance out of time travel, so we'll disregard it. lol )

Interesting idea about the rubber stem maybe being a horn switch-out.

Yeah, John was a perfect balance of OCD collector and scholar. Surprisingly, he wasn't a PipeWorld citizen for as long as most people would guess. Only about a decade. But what he did WITH that time was extraordinary.

Reactions: didimauw and jguss