When does a bowl interior require repair?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Estate Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Let's use this used Savinelli Autograph 5 as an example:
savinelli_autograph.jpg

This appears to me to be smoked often enough to where pockets of the bowl interior have burned away. I have an untrained eye however, thus I ask.
Would this pipe require some sort of repair or maintenance, or would it just be a matter of preference?
How is the problem corrected?

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
If you ask me, that looks fine, if by repair, you mean a reaming? when the cake gets too large, youll know when it happens, if you mean a salt and alcohol treatment, i do it for any estate, and also if my pipe tastes sour, like if one pipe smokes way worse, for the same tobacco, then all the rest of my pipe.
That pipe sure doesnt need anything but a good smoking

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
Just looks like uneven, pitted-looking cake. Ream it smooth if you want, or leave it alone. No repairs necessary in my opinion.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
Looks like a problem with the cake, it could have been smoked too fast. If it was holes in the briar that would be burnout and then it would need repair if it could be saved at all being that pockmarked.

assaad

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2011
I'm paranoid about that sort of thing and I used to take the poker on my pipe tool and poke at the holes in the cake you will know the difference between hard wood and burnt wood by the feel. Also I hear burnout stinks and I'm sure you would have tasted burning wood when smoking it.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Looking at that picture - it really looks like cake to me. You can see the edge of the build up, just below the rim of the bowl. If it is an estate pipe then you are probably better removing it and starting afresh. If it is a pipe you have smoked, a gentle ream to smooth out the pot marks should be fine.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
reliable way is to determine the difference between cake or a burn

Agreed, your example photo is simply uneven cake.

I would either ream it with a knife or sandpaper wrapped around a finger or a dowel. Just enough to smooth it out, try not to take it to bare wood. 200, 220 grit is what I like to use.
Difference between em, use a small bit of sandpaper for a type of scratch test where you suspect burnout.

Cake will show light grey on the sandpaper, burnt briar will be dark, almost black. An emery board would be good for this type of testing.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I am now educated, thanks once again for setting me out right.
I will share pics of anything I bring home from the antique shop later today.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Best of luck at the antique mall zanthal.
Only one here in town for me to peruse. There are 2 vendors that focus on tobacco related goods.

Unfortunately all the pipes they carry are in dire need of refurbishing but are priced at about what they would be worth if the said refurb was already done!

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
After some recent experiments it looks like it was given a honey rub and smoked only a few times, or its been reamed...upon closer inspection it looks to have been reamed and to a good level too.

Status
Not open for further replies.