Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
The reason I ask is I have a jar in my basement with one of those big sausage 'blocks' cut in half, and labeled "curley block 2020" I believe it was Heinrich's but I don't remember for sure.
I'm wondering if the date identifies it as Heinrich's or did Wessex take them over before 2021? Just curious, as I understand it burley was added to it when Wessex took over. Either way I'm going to finally slice some off and try it.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I believe it was in 2021 but perhaps someone else will confirm. I recently encountered some in a B&M and it looked the same although I’ve heard some negative reviews. If the price wasn’t horrific I would have tested it for myself but that stick is going to ossify on the shelf at that price.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Based on the responses here, and my own first smoke of it, I definitely have the Heinrich's version here. I don't detect a trace of anything besides VA and perique with this block. It's quite good I might add.
@alaskanpiper once described it to me as a big donkey dick of VaPer awesomeness. Glad you got the good stuff bro!

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
I have some of the Wessex block its excellent, easily in my top 3 for VaPers. Not sure why anyone would think Wessex taking over would be a downgrade. There's 1 PH blend I enjoy and like 4 or 5 Wessex blends I enjoy a lot. In fact, this past weekend I just gave my B&M guy a list of Wessex blends for him to try and get.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have some of the Wessex block its excellent, easily in my top 3 for VaPers. Not sure why anyone would think Wessex taking over would be a downgrade. There's 1 PH blend I enjoy and like 4 or 5 Wessex blends I enjoy a lot. In fact, this past weekend I just gave my B&M guy a list of Wessex blends for him to try and get.
Well, if you liked Curly Block because it's such a good VaPer, and later buy more at an expensive price without the company informing the public that the formula was radically changed, you might be unhappy about it, too. This happened to a fair number of people. The blend is still good, but it's not what many unaware smokers paid for.

Wessex has done this with several blends, mostly to lessen the use of costly perique. Same thing happened to HU Director's Cut, which made quite a number of people unhappy. The bottom line is that if a company changes a blend, they should inform the public.