When did They Quit Including Matches With Orders?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olewaylon

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2012
I don't always use matches when smoking but I love getting them with my orders. I've noticed that one of the leading online tobacco companies who always used to include them with each order has stopped. Three orders with no matches. Maybe i should have posted this in the grinds my gears thread.
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9. L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

inteus

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
I remember getting a note from P&C about the FAA or some federal agency no longer allowing matches through the mail (USPS) or something to that effect. I'm at work, otherwise I'd go look for the note.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I believe inteus is on the right track. Probably a USPS rule. When you're in the red, losing a postal truck to fire puts a further dent in the budget.

canadianbacon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2013
I would agree that it is a safety thing. I know Federal Ammunition had an issue with how their primers were packaged. I guess some primers went off in shipping and caused a mess. Now they are packaged in a tray, with each primer having their own compartment, and they are all on their side. I Don't buy federal primers for the simple fact that they don't just dump in the primer tray anymore.
I'm sure there is some idiot with a clipboard making up unnecessary rules for things like this.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
I too got a note from P&C saying that federal regulations have now precluded their being able to include matches with an order. One wonders just how many problems have actually occurred from a small container of matches being included in a carton of merchandise or whether this new regulation is the product of some over-imaginative bureaucrat at the US Department of Government Nannies ... it makes one ponder the future we're stampeding toward with the government regulating an ever-increasing number of aspects of our lives ...

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
A golf course I used to play regularly stopped putting drinking water on the course. His reason? He read an article that said terrorists might contaminate such "soft targets". I suspect the article really said" Why give it away when you can sell it"? Heck, I have to ask for matches at my local B&Ms when I make a purchase. One seems to always give them without asking with cigar purchases. I do know that the list of questions about the contents that USPS asks when you ship a package has gotten longer recently.
Mike S.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Here in Canuckistan stores are required to charge for matches as giving them away is "promoting smoking" which is illegal here. That being said it's rare a few boxes don't find their way into most bags.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Instead of wondering if you will or won't comply with a USPS or any govt. regulation, the easiest is not to ship.
From the USPS website.
Examples of household products that may be mailable but have specific restrictions…
Aerosols

Lithium Batteries

Nail Polish

Perfumes containing alcohol

Pool Chemicals

Paints

Matches

Certain Glues

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Believe it or not, it's not the matches that are causing the problem, it's the striking material on the outside of the box. It's hard to imagine. We've shipped matches for years and never heard of a problem with any of the packages, but there are greater minds at work here than mine.
Russ

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
russ said:

"... there are greater minds at work here than mine."
I don't believe that for a second ... the rules are being made by mindless bureaucrats whose very existence depends on their being active in 'improving' things ... and the more 'improvement' we get from them, the more constricted our lives become. It isn't necessary for them to have an actual problem to deal with ... for most of them, actual problems are too few and far between ... so, they deal with possible , or potential (translation: imaginary) problems.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
The matches thing doesn't bother me since I use lighters. But, don't you just hate it when you buy a $350 handmade pipe and don't get a free pipe cleaner to go along with it? :wink:
Pipestud

Status
Not open for further replies.