When Did The Trend Go From Small To Large Pipes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
I read the article about Charatan on pipe pedia recently, where it was stated that the Frederic era Charatan pipes were only group size 1 and 2.
So I assume during that time everyone prefered small pipes.
When did the trend swing to larger pipes?
And why?

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
If I was able to smoke basically wherever, and several times throughout the day as I took a break chatting in someone’s office, or walking down the street to the office after lunch, I’d also opt for a light, pocketable 20-minute smoker.

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
On the SmokingPipes website there is only 1 page of less than .65" pipes and 7 of .90"+

That's fair. ☺ It's safe to assume that Laudisi stocks inventory based on demand, so you and OP certainly have a point.

Just based on what I've seen posted online lately (with particular prevalence on instagram), it seems like chubby little nosewarmers have had a major increase in popularity.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
The Boom of the Nosewarmer? Hmm, many years ago we used to burn our eyebrows doing heavy reading/studying; it seems there are other ways to actually burn them. ?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Tobacco being a very expensive luxury back in the day, most smokers enjoyed their daily or weekly smoke in smaller bowls. But pipes of all shapes and sizes were always being made. In the 1880's and the 1920's there was a market for Magnums, extra large pipes. In the early 19th century there were giant meerschaums that were sold to a wealthy clientele.
So there's no real point in time where there was a "trend" to larger pipes. Charatan mostly made smaller pipes in the classical shapes during the Frederick era, but not all of Charatan's pipes were small, and there were other makers, like Barling, BBB, and Comoy, who produced pipes in all manner of sizes.
This Barling magnum is from 1882:
4mSbg1c.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think nose-warmer pipes are synonymous with small chambers. A number of my shorter shank/stem pipes that are nose-warmers have ample bowls of medium and larger medium bowls. For example, two recent MM special editions, the Dagner and the C&D Carolina Gentleman, are definitely short pipes but have generous medium chambers.

Celius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2019
What gave you the idea that larger pipes are more popular in the current market? I would argue that nosewarmers are more popular than ever, particularly with the younger crowd on social media.

If you take a look at the specs of the most new pipes offered nowadays, they are mostly group size 4, or even 5.

Nose warmers are small, but they are chunky.
By small pipes I mean the likes of Dunhill group size 1,2,3 pipes in classical shapes.

I am trying to find now a small classic billiard outside Dunhill, and have difficulties. :(

Reactions: supperthyme

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Online, shop retailers who state the weight and chamber diameter and depth, to give you a good idea. Vintage Hilsons, Ropps, EWA (Iwan Ries online), some Stanwell like their bulldog 32, the Peterson Belgique, the Pete 106, and many others might bear your consideration. Billiards are offered in smaller sizes by many brands, but you may have to dig a bit to find one you prefer. Kaywoodie has them, and PC has Kaywoodie at the moment.

Reactions: reap

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
This is a good question. I haven't got the answer, but economy must be a part of it. It blows my mind to hear old people talk about the prices of goods back in the day.
I know a woman who was a cashier in a shop sometime in the 50-ies. She used two months' wages to buy a winter coat. Today that would be 3-4 days wages for a quality coat. They would mend their clothes several times to make them last, eat every crumb of food and never ever throw anything useable away.
I can imagine they would have been careful with their tobacco as well.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The only trend I've seen in the past few years is quite a large selection of just about any shape and size one could imagine. I primarily smoke flake tobacco's and clinch so I like size 3 to small 4 size pipes with thick walls that with less that 2 ounces. I've found more than plenty to choose from.

Reactions: gamzultovah

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I will never understand this. I HATE short pipes.

Umm... That's what SHE said.... nana

Supperthyme, please forgive my inner Beavis insisting on an appearance.

Our economy, and by edict, our culture, is based on more, more, bigger, faster.

Our corporate overlords and the shareholders that lord over them could not have their third homes if we lived a modest life of inner contentment with many less things.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I have a collection of small pipes that I really like. Several of them date back to the 30s-50s. I've found several NOS small pipes on Ebay that I got for under $10 because no one else was bidding. Many of them were made in France. My favorite things about smaller chambers is that I can smoke a 15 minute bowl with my friends when they go out for a cig, I can smoke a higher nic blend without worrying about hitting the brown note, and I can smoke several different blends instead of having to commit to one for over an hour. I like large pipes too, especially for the last bowl of the night or when I go out and don't want to carry tins or pouches with me. Some of my smaller bowled pipes still have relatively wide chambers too, so they work for English blends as well. I agree that Italian makes probably started the huge pipe craze in the post war boom where people had more money to throw around on luxuries and a huge pipe symbolized that you could afford to burn through enough tobacco to justify the size. Danish freehands followed the trend and current artisans are just producing whatever their customers request.

Reactions: Celius and Bowie
Status
Not open for further replies.