When Did the HOTW Tin Description Change?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
When did Hal change from a VA to a VaPerKy? Or was it only the description that changed? Newer tin is on the left.
IMG_20200405_211951.jpg

Reactions: rushx9

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I think the original Rattray's Hal o' The Wynd was pure Virginia. In his "Disquisition for the Connoisseur," Hal o' The Wynd is under the chapter "Rattray's All-Virginian Tobaccos" with the heading:

"They have been specially prepared for those who demur to Mixtures containing seasoning or condimental leaf. Manufactured from pure Virginian leaf, without any artificial flavouring, they are Virginian Tobacco at its finest."

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I think the original Rattray's Hal o' The Wynd was pure Virginia. In his "Disquisition for the Connoisseur," Hal o' The Wynd is under the chapter "Rattray's All-Virginian Tobaccos" with the heading:

"They have been specially prepared for those who demur to Mixtures containing seasoning or condimental leaf. Manufactured from pure Virginian leaf, without any artificial flavouring, they are Virginian Tobacco at its finest."
Which tells you how full of BS the descriptions on tins can be.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I was under the impression that HOTW always had those condiments. Back in the day I think a lot of blends were described as Virginia tobaccos as a way of indicating a blend of Virginia character and not necessarily a straight VA blend in terms of component tobaccos. I've read from Gl Pease that it wasn't uncommon for some of the old famous VA blends to have some un-disclosed latakia in them for seasoning as an example

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
Thanks for the responses. I'm glad to hear the recipe hasn't changed because this older tin is just incredible, and that means the rest of my tins will one day approach the same greatness. I wish I could get a better idea of when it was produced. I actually didn't initially notice the difference in tin description until I went looking for a date code after the first half of the tin completely blew me away. I buy Hal wherever I can get it, so I have no idea who sold me an aged tin or when - this was just the first tin at the top of a box of them. Doh!

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.