When did Mac Baren start dating their tins?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I have a tins of Scottish Mixture that has no obvious date on the bottom sticker. I'm assuming this means it was packed before they started dating. Who knows when they started putting the date and year onto this sticker? The earliest I see in my collection is Nov 2012. Or, does anyone know how to break the code on these earlier stickers to reveal a date?
Thanks!

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
Found this on another forum, letter from MacBaren
Kreted were our importer from 2004 to 2012. Before that we had Swisher starting in late 80ties and stopped in 2003.
Concerning the codes you will only be able to use these on the Kretek tins. Please read it as follows:
Eksample: 2043121
2 = the machine no.

04= the year

312= the day it is produces

1= 1st shift or 2nd shift (in this case 1st shif).
I hope that clears your question
Best regards

Per Georg Jensen
hope that helps, I had found that a few months back dating some of my own tins. Like he said this is for the Kretek tins , if yours are newer I think this is the code.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
So, the short answer is my tin dates from August 2012. My earliest tin with the month and year printed to the left of the barcode is Nov 2012 (still same importer - Ketel). So the inclusion of the month/year appears to have happened in the fall of 2012. The next year sometime, the importer switched to Sutliff.
While the newer tins have a clear month and year printed to the left of the bar code, the date stamp is the same as before. It's the 8 digit number to the right of the bar code. The 3rd and 4th number are the year numbers ("12" for 2012) and the 5th, 6th and 7th digits are the calendar day of that year ("241" is August, "004" is January, "357" is December, etc). Way cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.