PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
I had five fillings yesterday afternoon. Friday is typically pipe night, any suggestions on how long I should wait for things to settle before I smoke?

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
I've smoked cigarettes right after the feeling returned in my mouth. I'm sure you can do the same with a pipe, but I'm no dentist...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
jonahtke, the fact you ask the question means -- at least to me -- that your jaw is asking for a short

vacation from any unnecessary activity. I'd give it a day or two, if it were my teeth. You can do anything

you choose, and this probably won't do you any harm. But out of respect for your jaw, maybe take a break.

I had a tooth extraction last year, and I gave my gum a week's vacation, as I recall. First tooth I ever had

pulled, much icing and bed rest, but not too much discomfort. Thanks to doc and pain meds.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I've had my jaw broken in two places, several molars broken, wisdom teeth extracted, not many fillings, and I always take a lot of time away from smoking anything when those things happen. You only have one set of teeth, but plenty of future days to puff on that pipe.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I had filling work done recently and I asked the dentist if I needed to watch what I ate or drank and she said that I could resume my eating/drinking habits right away.
However, my filling work could be different from your filling work - so to be safe, maybe give your dentist a quick call and ask if there are any restrictions you need to adhere to.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
Thanks for the advice. I imagine I'm being a hypochondriac but I was concerned that heating/cooling involved with smoking could cause issues, but I do really look forward to pipe day. Best on the safe side though. Thanks again.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
I recommend a high-nic blend, accompanied by a shot of something liquid and alcoholic, and NO clenching!

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Yah, but having half your face numb and digging in your pocket for your keys sounds like a recipe for a dinged pipe... :oops: I've had similar experiences with cigs, but my dentist told me that the blue light thingamajig (Technical term) solidifies the fillings... You should be good to go. In my experience the only time you can't smoke is after oral surgery and especially after getting teeth pulled. No smokes for 3 days after my wisdoms got yanked in the Corps. As if I wasn't already starving to death eating nothing but weird powdered shakes and broth.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
There's nothing wrong with smoking right after a filling is done, that stuff is sealed away and contained, so there's absolutely no risk of your smoking adversely affecting your filling. It's not like getting wisdom teeth done and risking dry sockets as a result.
Of course any medical professional will always say "you shouldn't smoke, but if you have to, smoke after it's fully healed." Which could be 2-7 days...

Aug 14, 2012
I lit up in the dentist's chair once. No ill effects observed except most of my teeth seem to be missing.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I'll have a bowl to fortify me on the drive to the dentists.

And another celebratory bowl on the drive back home.

I'd have one there whilst waiting, but its not allowed.

I bow to the floss God twice daily.

And I watch what I eat.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
You can smoke when ya like. But I say for sake of moderation and self control you should send all of your pipes to a less fortunate, and begin smoming again only after you have bought all new pipes and tobacco. All joking aside fillings are sealed and permanent when ya leave the office, but for the sake of prudence wait untill ya dont have any pain from the procedure.

estumpf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2013
I had a filling replaced last Friday. My dentist said, "Don't chew on that side for at least 4 hours." Are you planning to chew stem?

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
I'd let it heal up nicely before I'd pick up a pipe again. Open wounds and tobacco smoke, sounds like a recipe for cancer. But what do I know - I'm no doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.