Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I often think about the things I have and use on a regular basis. Tools, pipes, technology, etc., are all things I use and they bring me joy when I do. It never ceases to amaze me though, when I think about certain things I'd want. I have pretty much everything I need, but there will always be those things I want. One of them would be to have a fine woodworking shop made up of all the power tools, dust collection system, and hand tools I could want. I love working with wood, but the ability to have the space I really want and the tools I would want is something I may just have to spend a good number of years working on.
The other is quite simply a 1953 Ford F100 with the oak wood bed.
affordable-vintage-1953-ford-f100-for-sale.jpg

I think pretty much everyone has those things that maybe are a little too much to afford, or even if you could are so rare, that even if you could afford them, you couldn't actually attain it due to rarity. So basically I'm just curious what many of you consider to be that white whale on the horizon. If you don't have one, that's fine, but I know I do have a few. It could be a pipe you long for, a tobacco that no longer exists or is impossible to find. Maybe it's a truck or car like one of my dreams. Do you have a white whale?

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Easy: 1970 Chevelle SS Convertable. One day it will be mine...all mine bwahaha (evil laugh).

sc0516-243456_1.jpg

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
That 53 Ford is sweet. I think the early 50's trucks are the best styled trucks that ever existed. My personal preference would be a 54 Chevy (or a 55 classic, which is a 54 carryover) because of the unique grill that the 47-53's didn't have.
Don't get me started on the muscle car era 64-73 either. :)
My preference there is a 69 Camaro RS/Z28.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I think the early 50's trucks are the best styled trucks that ever existed. My personal preference would be a 54 Chevy (or a 55 classic, which is a 54 carryover) because of the unique grill that the 47-53's didn't have.
I'd have to agree. Those years were the best in style for trucks. I love some of the Chevy models as well, but I just remember my grandpa's 1954 Ford F100 and I loved riding in that thing. I still don't know how to change gears in a 3 on the tree, but I'm sure I could get it figured out real quick.
Don't get me started on the muscle car era 64-73 either.
Yeah....I know. That era of cars man. Almost too much to keep up with, but I'd have to pick the 1967 Mustang GT500. That thing is so sweet. But that's an easy answer and probably one of the most go-to's I've ever seen when asked, but I truly love that car.
My preference there is a 69 Camaro RS/Z28.
To match you year for year, though, I'd have to go with the 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner. That car was thing of beauty.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I'd have to agree. Those years were the best in style for trucks. I love some of the Chevy models as well, but I just remember my grandpa's 1954 Ford F100 and I loved riding in that thing. I still don't know how to change gears in a 3 on the tree, but I'm sure I could get it figured out real quick.
I drove a 3 on the tree truck once, but can't remember what truck it was now, something in the 60's I think. It wasn't that hard once you got the hang of it. My first car was an 82 Z28 4-speed. I miss that car to this day.
The other trucks that are really sweet are the 41,46 Chevys. (skipped 42-45 because of the war).
Yeah....I know. That era of cars man. Almost too much to keep up with, but I'd have to pick the 1967 Mustang GT500.
Eleanor. :)
For Mustangs, I like Steve McQueen's 68 GT "Bullitt" or maybe a 70 with a 351 Cleveland.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A new Rolls Royce would be nice, but I don't hanker after it enough, no longing when I see one. Still would be nice. With a sexy woman as my driver. (segue)
As to white whales of another sort, Charlize Theron comes to mind, though not as a chauffeuse.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Great question!
I'm an odd duck. Very not-mechanically-inclined-but-loves-cars-anyway is a great way to describe me.
I love all the muscle cars, old cars, trucks, model A's etc.
My first car was way faster than it had a right to be.
1971 Skylark (stock photo, but it was blue):
4610004603_d525290457.jpg

It really opened my eyes to just how awesome Buicks are.
So my whale is a toss up. Which ever one I came across first if I had the money.
1970 GSX:
1970-buick-skylark-gs-muscle-cars-for-sale-2017-03-10-1-1024x682-1024x682.jpg

Or
1965 Riviera (so classy!):
6404_30f314dad3_low_res.jpg

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I would like a fully functional B&W photo lab equipped with two enlargers, a large photolab sink, a print washer and print dryer. I would also like a Nikon F2 or F3, a Hassleblad and a five year supply of 35mm and 120 black and white film and all the film and print chemistry I would need to last 5 years.
Hey! You said "white whale."

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That fifties Ford truck is pretty delicious as are other of these wish list items. I like pappymac's photographic ideas. I wouldn't mind one of those (to me) heart throb Leica rangefinder cameras from the late sixties that took 35mm celluloid film. Tri-X was my darling, the fast b&w film for available light indoors and out. If I had the budget to have a "pet" car that didn't need to do the running and hauling, it would be one of those long-hood XK-E Jags, although the mechanics on those babies has never been just right, and the handling is a little odd. And my most quirky automotive infatuation is the Chevy Monte Carlo on into the nineties, with the subtle sheet metal. Apparently it was never favored by either the Consumer Reports nor the real car buffs, but for shear understated but undeniable looks, that was the one. It's always been four-bangers for me, German and Japanese, mostly the later, with moderate maintenance costs. I'd always start out with dealers of American cars, but those guys always had some immune response to me -- wouldn't deal, wouldn't even talk, so I'd go up the road to the the foreign makes where they were always ready to meet me, early or late, and make a deal. I never figured that out. My last try for an American car was at the Mercury dealership for a test drive of the Milan. Two salesmen were all got-up in winter coats and snappy fedoras, engaged in some conversation, and I hung around reading stickers for forty minutes and finally figured I'd go buy something else.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
1932 robin egg blue Cord.
My father had one. Had a Lycoming aircraft engine was supercharges and front wheel drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.