PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
I've always been drawn to the classic shapes, a plain straight billiard is my favourite, as well as some classic bent shapes. I have a couple Wellington bent pipes, reminiscent of some Petersons. I like straight apple shapes as well.

What I'm personally not a fan of is artisan and out of the ordinary shapes, dont know why. I like a plain corn cob as well.

As for finishes, I'm not too fussy, rusticated is fine if it's black Ideally.

eugenepark

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2018
Oklahoma
I think I prefer sitters because I often smoke while I'm doing random things out in the garage. It's nice to be able to set the pipe down to go do something and not worry it'll roll over onto its side.

Straight or bent.. not a big deal since I don't typically read while holding the pipe in my mouth.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Im all over the place. Early on I loved free hand Danish style pipes, got a lot of bent pipes but over the years my tastes have grown to appreciate the classics more. I love straight pipes now whereas when I first started I really didn’t like them at all. But I have never gotten rid of my pipes and still smoke all of them.... well mostly.

I have always loved Italian pipes too, right now, Italian pipes are probably what I’m attracted to the most at this point but I won’t be buying a new pipe for a really long time. Next one will probably be a Castello or a Radice.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Small/petite overall size with small to average sized bowls (.65 - .8”). If it’s over 30 grams it has to be special. Classic French/British shapes, mostly straight and no longer than 5.25”.
Also, straight grain or very nice flame grain is always acceptable but cross grain and birdseye really do it for me.

atomic

Might Stick Around
Nov 27, 2019
Orange County, CA
I was kind of all over the place with shapes, finishes and sizes but have now settled into dark sandblasts and sometimes rusticated pipes. I think it may be that I enjoy the grip of a textured pipe as I rarely clench and simply enjoy holding my pipe more than setting it down despite always having a stand nearby.

Some days I am drawn towards a straight pipe while other days I am drawn to the quarter bent pipes I most recently accumulated. For some reason though, holding a full bent pipe feels awkward in my hand. I had a fantastic smoking and aesthetically pleasing one which didn't stay in my possession for long. So although I admire them, I don't see myself investing in a full bent pipe anytime soon considering how many pipes I have already sent off to the estate market.

Basically I think I've found my fit in my current rotation and don't raise eye's too often at pipes though I still look occasionally, waiting to see if something piques my interest. It may be that I'm also too busy calculating what blends I should stock my cellar with.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I don't discriminate. I have a few billiards, but other than that my collection is all over the map. As I've become a more experienced smoker over the past year I think I've grown to prefer 1/4 and 1/8th bent pipes, but I'm still attracted to all sorts of shapes and sizes.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
I like classic straight shapes, 6" or less and under 40g. Love sandblasted pipes and cross cut pipes that are heavy on the birdseye but think most other grain types are a hint boring.

jhe033

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2020
Indiana
I’m all over the place, though I tend to prefer the tactile feel of a good sandblast or rusticated pipe.

Lately though I’ve been reaching for my straights over my bents, though I’m sure that will change.

Reactions: kurtbob

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I prefer bent billiards. 1/2 to full bent, is what works best for me. In between I have a couple of straight billiards and bulldogs and a bent rhodesian, a Peterson 999 that I would like to give the company of an 80S, bent bulldog.
But bent billiards mainly.

Status
Not open for further replies.