What's Your Oldest Pipe That You Bought New?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Mine is the first pipe I ever bought, purchased new at Tinder Box in the late 1970's, stamped as a Tinder Box St. Ives, a bent pot sitter with light chestnut stain and an unusual vertical saddle stem. This pipe is still a fine smoker at about 42 years of age. I wrote Tinder Box to ask, and they said this was probably sourced from Chacom. The shape code is 7345.

danish

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2017
Denmark
I have lost or tossed the first pipes I bought. Since then I bought the same Stanwell model (at the bottom) again in the nineties, from Tom Eltang, when he had a shop in Tårbæk. The much older Stanwell (sixties) at the top, was only smoked once and as new in the box, when I bought it a few years ago.976A1D5F-4B84-40E0-A1DF-0A28F841E6E0.jpeg

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
All of my estate pipes were relatively new when purchased (a couple of years old at the most) . Probably the only reason I would buy a truly old pipe is to either use it as decoration because it has some historical significance or it wasn't smoked...neither of which I have had the ambition to search for. As for new pipes I've purchased a long time ago (been smoking the better part of 40 years now), being a farmer, fisherman and avid RV'er, you can really only view pipes as utilitarian...I lose or break several pipes every year, I have nothing left that's over probably 5 years old.

Last edited:

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I think the oldest 'new' pipe I bought is a Leeds era Ben Wade. Not sure of it's exact age, but seeing as their Leeds factory got flattened by the Luftwaffe I'm guessing 1930's.

Reactions: Scottishgaucho

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
This one hurts! I had an unsmoked Sasieni One Dot Specially Selected pipe circa 1919 - 1924 that I very foolishly sold. I would trade half my pipes to have that one back!

Scottishgaucho

Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
The pictures were so poor I hadn't a clue what it was when I bought it and obviously judging by the very low price I paid neither did the seller . I just liked the shape of it.

It is this Sasieni Prince which the knowledgeable pipe forum members date as being made around 1920.

WP-20200822-017.jpg

Sasieni88pipe.jpg

Scottishgaucho

Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
The pictures were so poor I hadn't a clue what it was when I bought it and obviously judging by the very low price I paid neither did the seller . I just liked the shape of it.

It is this Sasieni Prince which the knowledgeable pipe forum members date as being made around 1920.
Ignore my above post....missread the thread title.

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020

WP-20200822-017.jpg

Sasieni88pipe.jpg
Sweet Christ that’s beautiful!! A great example of Sasieni.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you hang onto pipes long enough, you have an estate pipe without having to depart this life. It has all the history and no damage not inflicted by you, or if you maintain pipes well, no damage at all. It's fun to see them kicking along and in some cases unavailable in any current form, one of a kind. This is intensely pleasing. If you ignore inflation, they were always at prices unimaginable today.