PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Man the search option wasn't turning anything even close to this topic for me , so if this has been hashed out before I appologize.

Well running low on my all day regulars PS Twist flake,Elizebethan, Peterson's Irish flake. Top it all off my car died, no way I'm walkin 8 miles to CI for storm supplies. Not at a windy 32 degrees.

Walked to the local grocery store, pick up among other things a pouch of Half and half and Prince Albert just to get through. I think the Half and half is a nicer smoke and will suffice the next day or so till the car is fixed and the storm passes. The cellar is predominately from a time when I favored Red virginas and they don't ring my bell anymore, not a bit.

Here's my question, what your old reliable OTC that would satisfy you if you couldn't get your regular smokes?

Dan

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey Dan, good on you for getting your supplies in.
brdavidson introduced me to Carter Hall and I really enjoyed it, it had a nice light nutty flavour and was super easy to keep burning.
-- Pat

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Carter Hall and I really enjoyed it, it had a nice light nutty flavour and was super easy to keep burning.
+1 CH is a great OTC blend, if you can get it Walnut is also supposed to be really good.

~Ron

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Thanks guys, my first father in law turned me on to Carter Hall many years ago, couldn't finnish the bowl.

They had it at the store just shyed away, have more experience with the othe two. Maybe I should give it a shot after all it's been some 30+ years....tastes change. :wink:

Dan

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I like Carter Hall, Sugar Barrel, Half & Half and Prince Albert all very much, but if I had to pick just one, it'd be a tough choice between Carter Hall and Sugar Barrel.

latbomber

May 10, 2013
I think id rather have a good cigarette tobacco than most OTCs unfortunately

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I actually enjoy CBW and their new Dark is also very tasty. However I do have a large tub of CBW, Sugar Barrel and CH in my cellar. They'll last me a while.

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
Prince Albert

Sir Walter Raleigh

Captain Black Regular
Can't go wrong with any of these three! IMHO. :puffpipe:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I go way back with Granger, my dad's lifetime smoke. I also like Prince Albert and Half and Half from time

to time. I occasionally enjoy Borkum Riff, especially cut with other tobaccos to liven it up.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I enjoy a large range of the OTC offerings. Carter Hall is far and away my favourite, followed by Prince Albert, granger and sugar barrel. Great classics to bolster a cellar in my opinion.

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
Sugar Barrel is always a good change of pace and a good fallback. Carter Hall and PA are in my cellar too and I'll often use them in my Frankenstein jar to add a little consistency to the mix.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
I ASSuME otc means over the countr. As a newbe 1hour away from a true tobacco shop I have come to like borkum riff original blend. Chocolaty and nutty. Closest to my favorite bulk captains delight.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I like Red Virginia's so if you're looking to sell some of it, rather than go to waste, let me know.
Prince Albert is my favorite OTC, if not one of my favorite smokes, period. Carter Hall and SWR are good also, but PA is the best. More flavor, a bit sweeter than CH. H&H is my last choice, but it's okay.
My dad smokes nothing but PA. Thinks it's the best stuff ever. Won't even try any of my fancy blends from a tin.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Carter Hall, without a doubt. I like it more than most of the tinned blends, in fact.

If I was in the UK, it would be St. Bruno. In fact, I'd love a St. Bruno hook-up if anyone knows of one ….

Status
Not open for further replies.