What's Your Favorite Pipe Smoking Movie?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Barling Pipes
New Cigars
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
3 Fresh Il Cerchio Pipes
9 Fresh Caminetto Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I was astounded to see Matt Damon smoking a pipe (a meerschaum, if I'm remembering correctly) in the brilliant remake of "True Grit."
This is just a fantastic movie all around, though. Highly recommended.
Bob

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Another John Wayne classic is "Brannigan". If I remember correctly The Right Honourable Lord Richard Attenborough smokes a pipe in a few of the scenes.

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
I think that I may have already responded to this old post, but just in case I have not, I would have to say that my favorite "pipe smoking" movie is Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. Lots of pipe smoking during the crew's leisure time, cool naval battles, beautiful cinematography... it's a fantastic movie and I really wish that they would make a sequel.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I relate to the ancient Sherlock Holmes movie with Basil Rathbone and a by-gosh gourd Calabash,

wasn't it? I hope I'm not just embroidering this memory. It's not a film, but Carol Burnette did a

classic pipe smoking bit; it was actually her colleague Harvey Corman who smoked the pipe, as

a crushingly shy light house keeper smitten by a visiting woman, Carol Burnette, of course. But

his inept fiddling with the pipe, barely able to catch it with his lips, is unforgettable and funny.

Every time I fumble with a pipe (on those rare occasions!) I think of that TV bit.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Someone on another forum just bought this still from Mr. Blandings. It looks like Bill is helping himself to a bowlful of Mr. Blandings Dunhill My Mixture!
attachment.php

attachment.php

ithelouniverse

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2013
West Texas
It's not a movie but Cullen Bohannon smokes a pipe on the most recent season of "hell on wheels." Great show! Gunfights and pipes?! Yes please...

And don't forget in the early Batman comics commissioner Gordon smokes a pipe... Wish ole Gary Oldman had one in these most recent movies, he seems like he can pull of the look...

dranger75

Lurker
Jan 20, 2014
I almost forgot 'There will be Blood'. Daniel Day Lewis probably one of the greatest and most dedicated actors of our time.

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Dances With Wolves. Especially the scene at the end where the two main characters exchange pipes at their final parting. Also Never Cry Wolf. Something about a guy alone in the wilderness with his pipe, saxaphone, and "moose juice".

swampmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Scratch the sax, it was an oboe. I'd be sharper here if I was smoking instead of conteplating my next smoke.

Mar 5, 2014
Ohio
A few of my favorites are:

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House - Cary Grant, Melvin D ouglas

Lord of the Rings Trilogy

The Stranger - Edward G. Robinson

Crossfire - Robert Young, Robert Mitchum, Robert Ryan

All the Sherlock Holmes films

Captain Courageous - Spencer Tracy, Lionel Barrymore, Melvin Douglas

Shackleton

The Good, the Bad & the Ugly - Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef
dukeofwestwood63

darwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 9, 2014
Another vote for The Quiet Man. Not only are there pipes galore on view in The Quiet Man but it also has what may be the most profoundly erotic kissing scene in the history of moom pitchers.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Mr. Blandings "Fifty Three Dollars and Eighty Two Cents for a Zuz Zuz water softener!" Cary Grant in his famous staccato voice! But "If you ain't eating Wham you ain't eating ham!" :clap:

peteross

Might Stick Around
Oct 9, 2012
Salida, CA
Not my favorite movie but it does get an honorable mention. The Little Mermaid. My nieces had on the other day and I was shocked. I hadn't seen it in 15+ years I guess I forgot about the pipe smoking. And you'd never see it in a kids movie today. I believe I heard that if any movie contains any tobacco use it is automatically given a PG-13 rating.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
I posted way back on this, but I will add Hatfields & McCoys and a new documentary called Ghost Army.

Status
Not open for further replies.