PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
I have been looking at buying another pipe recently and while looking through Ebay, I put a couple on my watch list. When I went back to look at them I realized that they had the same stain. I thought that this could make a cool thread. So what's yours? Flame Grain, Birdseye, or rustic? Also, what kind of stain do you like?
I'm not sure what the name for it is but here is a picture of an Amber Root Dunhill with a similar looking stain.

amr4205_zps367d965a.jpg

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
I like em Blasted . Harder to see scratches . I have a couple of beautiful stained pipes of various grain , and Its almost like they get scratched of need to be rebuffed if I look at them too hard . :lol:

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Man, I am finding smooth with a lighter stain is where I am gravitating right now.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
Frenchy, I'd consider the one you posted a "flame grain".
My favorite stain is the Laboratory Table stain by Tom Eltang:

screenshot20121117at521.png

My favorite finish are the blasts created by Jack Howell, e.g., the bronze ringblast:

Howell%20Clam.jpg

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I fell in love with Ascorti's New Dear finish back in the 80s, when I worked at a TInder Box. It's still being used by Ascorti, and a very similar style is now also employed by Radice (their Underwood finish). I guess technically it's a rusticated finish.
Here's my Radice. . .

Bob

cezario

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
Comoy’s Blue Ribands "contrast staining". The danish artisan Tom Eltang also uses this finish in his magnificent pipes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My favorite is the Tom Eltang with birds eye pictured above, however I cannot afford them so I love my sandblasted pipes that have a really nice ring grain.
Here are a couple of my favorites.

FH02131004.jpg

FH02095004.jpg

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
I like smooth pipes with lighter stain color. That way you can see the grain clearly since it is not covered by darker stains.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Meerschaum! :rofl:
Seriously, though. I like the Flame Grain and if you'd asked me a year ago I'd have said Smooth, because I didn't get the attraction to the blast. That was until I got a blasted pipe and actually held it itn the light, smoked it etc. Now I can say I like both.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I don't really have a preference but I do like the sand blast finish. Also don't really have a preference on color either, but I like the reddish brown stain. Not a fan of the painted pipes like those Peterson green pipes.

frennchy11

Dec 28, 2011
I guess I was never a fan of rustication until I saw a sandblast. Still I prefer smooth, but a good sandblast can really catch my eye. Also, not a big fan of painted pipes except for one I saw Jason Dagner smoking in one of his videos. It was a dark green Peterson but you could still see the grain through it.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"I guess I was never a fan of rustication until I saw a sandblast."
Just to be clear, sandblasting is not a type of rustication. It's a different finish entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.