PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most pipers seem to relate to nature to at least some degree. I wonder what is your favorite bird?

I guess well all like fried chicken, roast turkey, and Long Island Duck when we can get it, but I was

thinking more of the wild birds we enjoy as much for sighting them and for the music they add to

the outdoors. I love seeing hawks, and hearing owls. My all time favorite may be the mourning dove,

for that periodic call, usually about seven repeated tones. Love that coming through the screen on

a breezy afternoon, or when I step out the door in the morning.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
Pheasant, delicious! :D OK, I like humingbirds, and watching the hawks outside my window while they hunt.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Owls, all species, are my favorites. The Mourning Dove is very soothing to hear, but I would rather hunt and eat them! I also enjoy watching hawks, eagles, falcons and humming birds. Being a duck hunter, I also enjoy watching waterfowl. But again, I would rather hunt and eat them! I will say that some male ducks(drakes) are among the prettiest birds in the world! Especially Wood Duck drakes.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I just love bluebirds.
Eastern_Bluebird-27527-2_zps9d233778.jpg
[/url][/img]

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
When we lived on the Big Island, HI the doves would come in thru the slider and ask my wife for a treat. They were always polite and didn't leave anything behind. I loved the soft coooooo in the morning. Now we watch humming birds.
That said, there's nothing like a big slice of turkey next to mashed potatoes and gravy.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I can remember hearing the call of the Cardindals when I was very young, and my mom has an affinity for them, so I love Cardinals. But, the Blue Bird is very cool to see. They make homes in Iowa, but seeing them is a somewhat rare occurance. For me anyway.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Favorite that I've observed in my backyard - hummingbird.

Favorite that I've observed in the wild - assorted raptors (golden eagle, bald eagle, hawks)

Favorite that I've only seen in zoos/heard about - White-Tailed Sea Eagle.

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
Bonasa Umbellus, Ruffed Grouse the best game bird to hunt and tastes like chicken, only better. ;)

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Favorite to see around home: hummingbirds. Favorite in general: parrots and cockatoos...never owned one, but may one day.
@saintpeter: You’re a cruel man! But you shall not have the last laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSxCT1Faw6k

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
If I were king I would make my quails take baths in lemon juice every day so they would be pre-marinated. There is a restaurant in Chicago called Reza's and they do quails tasty.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Seagulls. I used to ride the back deck on the Staten Island Ferry to and from Manhattan to watch the Seagulls following the ride.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Saw a hummingbird and a squirrel get in a fight at the Frito Lay headquarters north of Dallas. The hummingbird won.
Penguins are pretty adorable, with their waddly gait that switches to sleek swimming when they hit the water.
I saw a bald eagle once, in the woods around Lake Ouachita in Arkansas. He was sitting majestically on the top of a tree - there was no doubt what that was.
When I was younger, there was a limestone shelf above a sharp drop into a ravine fifteen miles outside Rio Vista, TX in the middle of nowhere. I used to ride my motorbike out there with a sleeping bag and a pipe and read Tolkein. Someone had carved the Elvish rune G (for Gandalf, shades of Weathertop from The Hobbit) on the limestone. If you remained perfectly still, the buzzards would circle and look at you. If you were able to stay still for thirty minutes, they would land to check you out. By that time, you'd flinched and they'd be off.

Status
Not open for further replies.