PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Just remember, all your base are belong to us.
Everything that lives is designed to end. We are perpetually trapped in a never-ending spiral of life and death. Is this a curse? Or some kind of punishment? I often think about the god who blessed us with this cryptic puzzle...and wonder if we'll ever get the chance to kill him.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'm surprised you'd like The Witcher 3 if you hate grim storytelling, because that game, holy shit... Just brutal. Wonderful game though. Definitely one of my favorites.

Witcher 3 is one of my favorites. I really, really liked the story and characters in Persona 5 right up until the end when the game has one too many twists and the plot becomes way too convoluted. I wonder if that is a Japanese thing because I've noticed it in a few Japanese games. Yakuza 0 is also a great, if overly twisty, story. What is great about the Yakuza series is that they're just narratively batshit. The game will switch between some hardboiled, grim noir and slapstick silliness in no time flat. Also, Kiryu is just kind of a mensch in addition to being the ultimate badass. It is a bit strange watching this gangster character behave like a boy scout. Like, dude, how did you make any money as a Yakuza if you won't get your hands dirty? Reminds me of the (hysterical) scene in The Godfather where they're all sitting around and talking about, "Well, I guess we'll sell drugs if we have to, but I don't want this shit being sold around schools." Sure thing, pops.
Oh I like stories that are grim. Some of my favorites.
If you like the awesome Yakuza series (the most uneven games ever as far as tone goes. Heavy serious story and then the silliest scenario ever and baseball practice?! ) Check out the Fist Of The North Star for PS4 it is the same team and basically the same game except in the fist of the north star universe. Basically imagine Yakuza with more mad max and more gore.
Total side note the media forgets when portray a scene like that one from the Godfather is it wasn't a moral compunction that kept the Mafia or factions of the Mafia not selling drugs, it was the risk to reward of it. Too much time and more importantly made it too easy to catch more people. Rewatch that scene with that in mind. :)
Oh Persona 5 is great. And yeah it's really twisty. But I still have to replay it but damn that game is long especially if you try to be completionist about it.

Reactions: danimalia

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'm surprised you'd like The Witcher 3 if you hate grim storytelling, because that game, holy shit... Just brutal. Wonderful game though. Definitely one of my favorites.

Witcher 3 is one of my favorites. I really, really liked the story and characters in Persona 5 right up until the end when the game has one too many twists and the plot becomes way too convoluted. I wonder if that is a Japanese thing because I've noticed it in a few Japanese games. Yakuza 0 is also a great, if overly twisty, story. What is great about the Yakuza series is that they're just narratively batshit. The game will switch between some hardboiled, grim noir and slapstick silliness in no time flat. Also, Kiryu is just kind of a mensch in addition to being the ultimate badass. It is a bit strange watching this gangster character behave like a boy scout. Like, dude, how did you make any money as a Yakuza if you won't get your hands dirty? Reminds me of the (hysterical) scene in The Godfather where they're all sitting around and talking about, "Well, I guess we'll sell drugs if we have to, but I don't want this shit being sold around schools." Sure thing, pops.
oh and it wasn't that I hate grim stories. It was I hate when the game play in a grim story takes away from that because it's too easy and breezy. Like Mass Effect where I just could not ever feel like the threat was as big as the game said it was because it never once felt like that once combat was happening. Heck even the Yakuza series where none of the boss fights are that hard (might take two tries) at least would kick your ass if you didn't come prepared or didn't pay attention to what the bosses can do. That's what I hate is a game where the game element is so far from the story that they're two completely unrelated things.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
oh and it wasn't that I hate grim stories. It was I hate when the game play in a grim story takes away from that because it's too easy and breezy. Like Mass Effect where I just could not ever feel like the threat was as big as the game said it was because it never once felt like that once combat was happening. Heck even the Yakuza series where none of the boss fights are that hard (might take two tries) at least would kick your ass if you didn't come prepared or didn't pay attention to what the bosses can do. That's what I hate is a game where the game element is so far from the story that they're two completely unrelated things.
I got you... That doesn't really bother me, but I see your point. I'd heard good things about Fist of the North Star and will definitely add it to my list. I still need to play Yakuzas 3-7 as well.

I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed Valhalla, and I'm kind of disgusted by it. The gameplay is pretty decent as most of them are, but the story is really derivative. It's like they just decided to do a hodgepodge of other popular games. You have the Viking setting from God of War (and a shit ton of other games), a story that, without spoiling much, involves your character struggling to stay loyal to a leader losing his grip like RDR2... You're playing basically as a colonizer, but so far doesn't force you to actually reckon with the morality of that. The Viking raids sound like a fun idea, but they're actually pretty meh.. Even the approach to gear and leveling up is less enjoyable than previous games and does far less to keep you motivated and playing. After Origins and Odyssey which I enjoyed quite a bit and found to have compelling settings and stories, I think it's pretty disappointing. Seriously, if I go decades without hearing about Odin or Loki or f'n Ragnarok in a video game, I'll be happy as hell.

• Wow
Reactions: anotherbob
Status
Not open for further replies.