PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
I got a nice long day doing nothing but smoking. Figured I would put something out there to enhance the day. I have a bunch going back to the beginning of gaming, at least atari. If I were to pick my favorite it would be castle wolfenstein the new order. They depth, story and intensity was unrivaled. You get injured in ww2, wake up out of a coma to nazis shooting special needs adults in the infirmary your in. Upon awakening you are now living in a world that is completely taken over by the nazis in 1960. They put an insane amount of detail, gory fps, news clippings of all the events leading up to and including present events, beetles record sung in German... After a mission you can read the news where you are projected as the terrorist (whacky). There is a Sophie's choice scenario. One level you are in a concentration camp. I let myself get immersed resulting in moments I actually got a tear in my eye. One night I realized it was 4am, my wife was pissed and I almost said you have no idea what I have been through, mild ptsd. If you haven't played it, it is a must.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Anything with Nier in the title.
I felt like no one played the first game released in America. Yeah that game had a great story.
My favorite game narratives are in the Souls series. I like how it's told in a very minimalist way that if you're interested you have to dig through descriptions and putting things together. Also love how the story and the game play are not just tacked onto each other but intrinsically tied. To illustrate partially I'll show the opposite... I hate when the story of a game is tense and grim "I don't know how we'll ever defeat the mumoes there are just too many of them..." and then you kill waves of basically cardboard cut outs (Mass Effect is the game that comes to mind first).
Then one of my favorite bits of story in a game is in the Witcher Three which also is narratively very strong. There is a mission totally optional where you fight a really powerful genie hardest fight in the game if I remember correctly. But that makes sense because of the gravity of why and the intention the character shows. That's all you really get for winning it (there are items, but at that point in the game...) is a story element but if you're invested it's way more then a stupid better sword.
Also there is a mission in the witcher three that is great.... that's just dialog mostly. You and your pals drinking and everyone who's played the game seems to agree about that mission.

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
In mass effect andromeda now, good but fighting is getting repetitive. I made my avatar hot as hell and trying to get a lesbian affair with a redhead on the tempest, fingers crossed:) I enjoyed many of the resident evils, in biohazard 7. I love the take on being in a house with the Texas chainsaw massacre family.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I would have to go with Half Life. Quake II would be a close second, and Doom gets the bronze. I always liked the Wolfenstein spoof level in Doom II. When you kill a Nazi, he shouts, "Mich lieben!" as he dies. Nice touch, but lousy graphics (which is understandable, since it was the early 90s after all). The original Quake was my favorite as a kid, but the OP asked about storylines specifically. I'll never forget the day I beat Quake on nightmare skill level...with no cheat codes!

Thanks @Kissel bixby for the unexpected trip down memory lane! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.