What's This?!?! A Bullk Royal Yacht Match Offering?!?!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
https://paylesscigarsandpipes.com/altadissutliff-match-royal-yacht-match-1-lb
Anyone tried this?

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I haven't tried it but I would be curious as to how close of a match it is, Royal Yacht has a pretty good nic hit to it and this is described as "medium" in strength. I wonder if they are talking about Strength in taste or nicotine content.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
image.png

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
We should pool together the funds for a pound and send some to Pipestud and Deathmetal for approval.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
As a diehard Royal Yacht fan, I am very interested in this. Wonder how close it comes? If they don't use the right Virginias, it will be medium and taste more like Elizabethan Mixture, which is not bad either but it's not... quite... anywhere near as good as... the unstinting excellence of the 'Yacht.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
If it doesn't have African Virginia's it ain't going to tickle the fancy.
I just opened a tin that has to be 3to 4 years old. Amazing! I've only smoked a tin of Royal Yacht, I gathered some tins because I knew it was a favorite. The topping is out of this world, but I used to put to much into the topping, chocolate this, coffee that, tonquin bean maybe, etc. Now the topping seems to really befuddled me. People say "Plum" yea I guess so, as far as the tin note. But I don't think it's plum flavoring, The Virginias give the nuances of chocolate this, coffee that, tonquin bean maybe, the topping I think? Is liquified crack! That's what I'm going with and I'm sticking to it. Now don't get on here and beat me up about either. Royal Yacht may be the finest tobacco ever crafted. I can only wonder what the Original tasted like. Hopefully the new stuff is a shadow, at least.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
As a diehard Royal Yacht fan, I am very interested in this. Wonder how close it comes? If they don't use the right Virginias, it will be medium and taste more like Elizabethan Mixture, which is not bad either but it's not... quite... anywhere near as good as... the unstinting excellence of the 'Yacht.
Hey I like RY and Elizabethan, depends on the mood

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
You've got the wrong link. This one is the correct one: https://paylesscigarsandpipes.com/altadissutliff-match-royal-yuck-match-1-lb
:rofl:

Hmmm, if someone developed a Royal Yacht blend without all of the nicotine, would it still have the appeal? I'm not so sure that I smoke Royal Yacht for just the flavor. I mean it's ok... but without the reward of a mallet upside the head, would I still smoke it?

It would be like setting through When Harry Met Sally for the 500th time with the wife, just to go straight to sleep afterwards. When Harry Met Sally is a good movie, but without a reward afterwards, I'm not so sure I'd watch it. :wink:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It might be a pretty good aro blend, and it might remind me of RY, but I suspect the "matching" aspect is shaky. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Since they matched it, what is the topping used. Please reveal. Please! I'm still going with crack, that's why it's "Secret". :mrgreen:

hextor

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 20, 2015
yea I don't thinks its a really good match, its probably more off brand than anything, I once bough an adidas shirt at the flea market, come to find out it was fake, it was spelled wrong "adias" I think this is more like the royal yates, similar probably but it not close to match the real stuff.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I am highly doubtful based on the website that it is a very good match. I wondered what all the pontificating was about, but now I see they only sell it by the pound. No one wants to try an entire pound of poorly blended, not matched tobacco. The risk outweighs the possible benefits, methinks.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Hard to say, JimInks has given really positive reviews to their match blends, I've read alot of people prefer sutliffs elizabethian mixture to the new dunhill version, also the amphora match and edgeworth ready rubbed is supposed to be better than the lane's version. I just don't know if they have access to african Va's or not which is going to be the biggest factor.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
The lesser strength is scaring most people off, as they perceive that this means it uses Virginias other than the killer empire Virginias in the 'Yacht.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I understand buying a match of a discontinued blend, but why would anyone buy a match for RY if they could buy the real thing? To save a few bucks? I suppose if someone smoked RY all day every day it might add up. The tobaccos are top-notch, the topping is mysterious, the blending is quality-controlled, as is the moisture at which it's tinned. And it comes in a real tin, not a foil-coated cardboard box with a plastic lid. Sounds way out of Sutliff's league. It's not a simple burley codger blend like ERR.

Maybe there is that one guy out of a hundred that loves the taste of Royal Yacht, but can't stand the effects of the nicotine. I mean it could happen. There may be that one weirdo. Like a guy who chooses to watch When Harry Met Sally, by himself. Phhhh, or is that just too far fetched to believe?

Hmmmm, I did know a guy, a male... a man... who knew some of the words to Les Mis. I mean, I didn't really know him. I didn't... like... talk to him or anything. I just heard from somebody that the guy existed. Theoretically...

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Well in theory the new Dunhill blends would be a match, as they're nothing like the original Dunhill blends

Status
Not open for further replies.