PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I didn’t think I was going to like this blend at all from the tin note but it tastes good but definitely a seasonal kind of smoke in my opinion.
I really wanted to like it. I got a weird taste of celery of all things. Funny thing is, I got that same flavor from Half & Half. They must use a similar topping that confuse my taste buds.

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72 and Mdutson

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Don't you think there are blends that either by tobacco component(s) or casing that try to disguise something else in the blend that is obnoxious? I came to one such blend called "Hair of the Dog that Bit-ya" as made my way home after having my fortune read in Cassadaga, FL.

I had walked into the fortune teller's parlor with a pipe in my mouth and the customary fedora, and as I did, a crone bestirred herself from the sofa and introduced herself as Ms. Haley. I reciprocated, and before I knew it was seated behind one side of a dimly lit room, the crone opposite.

Learning that I was soon to have both fame and fortune, I left in exultation, thumbing the tin, above, in my pocket. I loaded a bowl, and though I could puff on it, I felt that something was wrong.

Turns out in very fine script rodent hair and recycled piss were listed.

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
Seattle Pipe Club - Plum Pudding.
And Plum Pudding Barrel Aged. Only I never managed to actually smoke the Barrel Aged something about the smell makes me gag long before it ever makes it to my pipe. Those two along with Peterson Early morning pipe and Nightcap resulted in the most confused disappointed hour of my life.

Reactions: JOHN72

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
smudgersmissingleg observed that Black XX smelled like a burnt cow. I quite like this description although I never smelt it. There's plenty of room within the descriptors burnt or seared by a pan too hot to say such things.

I would never have thought of this, and I quite like it.

billinrio

Lurker
Jun 7, 2017
When I began smoking a pipe, I went through the usual disgusting drugstore blends such as Mixture 78, Walnut, and Revelation. All of them were smoked by college professors whom I respected, and I fondly recall graduate seminars in which it was just fine to bring a pipe and smoke it. But in retrospect, it has to be S.G. Firedance Flake. What a way to ruin Best Brown. Hands down, it's the badness "winner" because it will ghost a pipe such as no other. If I want my aunt's blackberry cordial, I'll drink a blackberry cordial. But then, I really don't want to

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Anything with that Lakeland essence. Just can't get past tobacco tasting like flowers and Earl Grey tea. I know that many of you love this stuff, and I wanted to, but I just couldn't do it.
Yes, I concur wholeheartedly. Even just one whiff of that stuff (which to me smells of an amalgamation of petunia petals and cat urine) tempts me to quit pipe smoking altogether, lest my nose, throat and tongue go on strike indefinitely. It is my opinion that all Lakeland blends should be sold with a complimentary straitjacket, since the two make an appropriate pairing.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Although I don't like burley in general, I can stand it in a mixture. Usually. There is one exception: 4Noggins Weybridge.
Weybridge positively turned my stomach. Weybridge nearly cost me my lunch.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Interesting thread. It appears that tastes vary. Who knew? Most blends, in my experience, can eventually become acceptable if you smoke them enough, even ones you initially detest. Even crap like Paladin Black Cherry can be detoxed by blending with a basic burley or whatever, and become quite tasty. And in this instance smell great. But why bother? Smoke what you like, etc.

Excepting something like Penzance that had become mildewed or has had a cat piss on it, the only tobacco that was so obnoxious that I couldn't believe it was Firedance--or Totentanz, as I like to call it. Problem is, I have an unopened tin with five or eight years on it and can't decide whether to sell it, or try it again and discover pure ecstasy. Like other people's tastes, my own tastes vary like the wind, and it bugs me. (Advancing age and an imaginary brain tumor are such pains in the ass to deal with. Ask anyone in high office in this country.)

Full disclosure: I've never sampled other Lakelands. I'm easily frightened and don't dare. And I like Mixture No. 79.

Merton

Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
four way tie:
Captain Black grape. (words fail)
Visions of Celephais (Capt Black Grape for the hip crowd)
Rattray Exotic Passion (I know I am in a minority but this was nausea inducing for me and I like Devil's Holiday)
Rattray Bagpipers dream (tobacco mixed with hair tonic)

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
The worst I've tried so far is Gentleman Caller. It tasted they way new running shoes smell. That's all I could think of while I was smoking it - that new rubber smell when you open the box of band new sneakers. It ghosted my pipe beyond belief as well. I jarred it and left it. Maybe it'll mellow, maybe I'll develop a taste for shoe rubber, or maybe my palette will develop to a point where I can taste whatever else is going on there that people like.

Other than that, although it's not a specific bland, I have a hard time with perique, no matter how badly I want to like it. It's really rough on the back of my throat and I have a difficult time getting through a bowl. It's one of those tobaccos where I get jealous of the guys who love va/pers because their descriptions sound so amazing. I'll get all excited to give it another whirl, but nope, still burns the throat. Maybe someday.

• Haha

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
Stanwell Vanilla. ?

Several others I don’t care for nor understand - Penzance, Capstan Blue, Half & Half, Luxury Navy Flake and a number of other aros. I’m sure there will be more in time.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Old Joe Kranz. I know it’s beloved by many, but I’ve tried it twice now and I think it tastes like dry moldy socks. I think it’s the combo of the burley and the Perique, as I like a Perique heavy VaPer and I enjoy a number of Burley blends, but the combination of the two doesn’t do it for me at all.

Reactions: JOHN72 and Mdutson