SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aug 1, 2012
The thing Iove about this question is that it reveals a bit about each of the respondents. The way the question is phrased, no answer can be wrong for the individual answering. However some/many of us can struggle with the idea that we can all be right even though our answers are different. Those who only want one pipe are right for their needs. The ones who say that the variety created by having 366 pipes so that you never smoke the same one twice in a year is what they need are doing what's right for themselves as well.

Great question @mso489 .

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
The way I've been smoking lately, one. Little time with the kids and pretty exclusively Virginia/VaPer/VaOr flakes.

To play the idea out fairly, though, if I was smoking what my full range and frequency was:
-A good VA flake pipe, and a spare
-A Latakia pipe
-An Oriental forward pipe
So four:)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad was pretty practical about his pipe. He wasn't attached to it. I never heard him mourning a burn-out, he'd just go to the newsstand in the lobby of his office building and buy another pretty-good pipe, though he could summon the heights of sentimentality lamenting the "poor little lonely potato" I hadn't eaten on my plate. I ate it. He would be thoroughly disapproving of my "pipe shop" in my study. "What do you do with them all? Why do you need them?" He would have said, or thought anyway. He was an interesting, somewhat complex soul.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
That depends on how many times you smoke a day. Let say 3. Then you have to consider if you are a believer. Meaning you believe in resting your pipe. Let's assume you are. That means you will need 4 pipes. That's 3 smoke a day +1 in case you need an extra smoke on some days. Now, I smoke one bowl a day. But have about 35 pipes. This is a very special case. 1 pipe a day +34 pipes in case I need a massive smoke out on some days.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
That depends on how many times you smoke a day. Let say 3. Then you have to consider if you are a believer. Meaning you believe in resting your pipe. Let's assume you are. That means you will need 4 pipes. That's 3 smoke a day +1 in case you need an extra smoke on some days. Now, I smoke one bowl a day. But have about 35 pipes. This is a very special case. 1 pipe a day +34 pipes in case I need a massive smoke out on some days.
Ya never know! Good to be prepared.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I guess it is my guilty pleasure, but I do enjoy going into my "pipe shop" of a study and choosing the pipe of the day. I have enough so I can often find I pipe I haven't smoked in a while and enjoy the "newness" of it. Maybe I'll do a thread on the pleasures of buying pipes, to account for the fact that we keep buying them long after the need is realized.