Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fearsclave

Mar 9, 2014
Got inspired by this thread to dial the discussion up to even less serious levels: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/matching-the-pipe-to-the-face
What, in your opinion, is the manliest pipe shape? Discuss.
I'd vote for the Bulldog, on the basis of name alone, with cobs as a runnerup, on the basis of simplicity and homeliness.

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
I'll go with the bulldog, both for a sturdy no-nonsense look and very wide acceptability and popularity. Pots and pokers have a stolid, sturdy look, but as we have heard in recent threads, are not as widely loved.

Mar 16, 2014
I'd have to say the long-shanks; canadians, liverpoools, lumbermans, and lovats. I suppose I say this because these tend to be my favorite shapes and I can only imagine that most people think, "now there's a man", when they see me smoking a pipe. :lol:

markthelad

Preferred Member
Mar 18, 2014
Bulldogs, pokers, apples and billiards (in that order) are in my mind the manliest pipe shapes. I am also partial to bent pipes, I think it imparts a more gentlemanly (maybe sophisticated?) look. Claw marks definitely help, lol! :lol:

michaelmirza

Preferred Member
Oct 21, 2015
Chicago, IL
Considering that "manly" is a socially constructed adjective, the manliest shape is whatever pipe shape a person who happens to be a man is smoking.

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
Canadian shape and other long-shanked pipes are far and away the most stately shapes, but for macho, the dogs have it, for me.

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member
May 12, 2015
Monterey Peninsula
Dogs with no pedigree, no chance at Westminster Kennel Show! Dogs with scruffy coats, torn dewclaws, a limp, and a few scars around the jowls. And a fearsome snarl.

draco

Dec 27, 2014
I kind of like the rusticated Author for a manly pipe, also a good sized 3/4 bent rusticated can look good.

cosmicfolklore

Preferred Member
Aug 9, 2013
Outer Space
This sissy crap again! I thought that we all agreed that only someone who is questioning themselves :wink: would worry about looking manly, because a real man wouldn't worry about such prissy priss stuff like "what they look like." A real man just grabs a pipe, when they want a pipe, and doesn't worry about whether they have exposed their inner fru fru sissy pants.

The least many thing in the world is worrying about what is manly. A real man just "is."

samcoffeeman

Apr 6, 2015
Bulldog only sounds manly. The manliest pipe shape is the standard billiard. All the manly pipe smokers smoked billiard shapes, it's the classic man pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.