PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
I think the best thing about the Falcon design is the draft is inherently a mini-reverse calabash, and gurgle is practically impossible.
If too much moisture ever does collect in the chamber under the bowl you can just twist off the bowl and fling the water out.
Or if you want a filter then Filter Rings are VERY easy to make out of pipe cleaners.

I can see the Falcon being the best choice for many beginners.

Jan 27, 2020
After using mine for a couple weeks now what I don’t like is clenching the mouthpiece. Sort of hurts my teeth or jaw for some reason, has a bit of give compared to acrylic mouthpieces.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
It's a H. Wiebe Radiator pipe.

More info here:

Buy here:

Those are cool! They’re pretty proud of the little buggers though.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
After using mine for a couple weeks now what I don’t like is clenching the mouthpiece. Sort of hurts my teeth or jaw for some reason, has a bit of give compared to acrylic mouthpieces.
The newer ones have harder nylon but mine eventually settle into my teeth with just a little “chatter”. I smoke them often though. Persevere!

Scottishgaucho

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.

Yes I agree that's the only downside to them, the older models had mouthpieces which were much superior. I also find them strange when new but if you stick at it I'm sure you won't notice. I have heard a rough sandpapering helps but never got round to trying it.

Falcons are neat. I've never tried one, but being a Kirsten smoker, I tip my hat to Falcon. Those were the original "system pipes," through the years countless others appeared, and those two have stood the test of time.

Agreed. It's too bad that Kirsten doesn't enter the 21st Century and update their website so you could buy one online without a fax machine or a smoke signal fire.... Maybe that's how they have to do it being in Washington? I bet with a few hundred spent on a website they would be SWAMPED with sales... I mean seriously, how HARD is it to add a "Buy It Now" button??

I have an "M" (Mariner) of theirs and it's a pretty good smoker!

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
I’ve never tried a Falcon, but I love how the Kirsten Designer looks. I don’t like how their website is set up for ordering, they don’t answer emails, I’m not calling them because I’m deaf and it’s a giant pain in the ass, and I’m certainly not driving the 2 hours up to Seattle either because driving and parking in that city adds a whole new plane of meaning to the word “suck”.

I did find a couple restored/new old stock ones on DK’s site, though, and I ended up grabbing both. I plan to swap the stems and bowls between them so they’ll match up much better. If Kirsten ever gets back to me or DK ends up listing a black Designer, that’ll complete my trifecta.

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Agreed. It's too bad that Kirsten doesn't enter the 21st Century and update their website so you could buy one online without a fax machine or a smoke signal fire.... Maybe that's how they have to do it being in Washington? I bet with a few hundred spent on a website they would be SWAMPED with sales... I mean seriously, how HARD is it to add a "Buy It Now" button??

I have an "M" (Mariner) of theirs and it's a pretty good smoker!

Here's the scoop on Kirsten:

Many years ago, the gigantic stock of parts they got made ran low. Trying to get more, all their machinists had retired. The family members all decided to let Kirsten fade away, except Stacy Thresher, who stepped in. It takes a lot of time and effort to get parts produced, and it's only her organizing the work and finding people to do it. Once done, it's also only her taking orders and shipping them. There's never enough business that she's able to keep more full-time people to do these things.

She's done several runs of pipes, but they tend to be limited in size. Right now, she's run out again, and she can't get another run because of Covid. In particular, her stem maker, in Italy, was an elderly man whose daughter is a hospital worker; Italy was hit hard, and she hasn't had luck contacting him, so doesn't know if he's even around now.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
There's never enough business that she's able to keep more full-time people to do these things.

Naturally. That’s what happens when a business makes it harder for customers to give them their money than it has to be, insists on manufacturing things the hard and expensive way for no compelling reason, operates in a tobacco-hating city with an extremely high cost of living, in a state that absolutely hates tobacco and taxes the everloving shit out of businesses that have anything to do with tobacco, and then charges these businesses extortionate fees for the privilege just to reinforce the point. I mean...they couldn’t possibly have made things any harder on themselves if they tried.

Don’t get me wrong, I love everything about Kirsten pipes from their looks to their history, but there are a ton of things they could potentially do to improve their situation if they really wanted to. Stacy Thrasher just chooses not to do them, which is her prerogative. ?‍♂️

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
So, move to another state, and export manufacturing to China? Sorry, but your response sure was jam-packed full of harsh snark. I get it, I do, but c'mon. That's what she'd have to do, per your suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.