PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2020
I can't really add to the positive comments posted so far. All I can say is I've been smoking them for many years while climbing hills, fishing for trout,tending the herd on the pampa and when chasing a certain woman....my wife loves to see me smoking a Falcon. They are tough and far easier to replace if you lose it than your beloved briar.
I smoked a bent for many years but I have to say my straight Black Falcon is the bee's knees.

WP-20170427-013.jpg

WP-20200915-016.jpg

I ordered the black straight stem. Something about it just spoke to me.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I just ordered a Falcon. Anyone have a meer lined briar?

I recently bought one and ordered a meer bowl for it. So far so good but I have only smoked it once as of now.

For me it seems like a cheap way to see if i want to begin investing in some meer pipes. Otherwise i don't think i would have bought one.

Attachments

• 20200915_222947.jpg
    20200915_222947.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200915_223213.jpg
    20200915_223213.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 7

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina

Seamaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2020
Scotland
I remember a few years ago when I was all about Falcon pipes a tobacconist telling me “You’re too young to be smoking a Falcon”. Make of that what you will.

As a child of the early seventies I can remember a time when just about every pipe smoker in the UK smoked a Falcon. They are inextricably linked with sideburns, brown slacks and Rover 2000s in my mind. My late father sported all three and smoked one on-and-off whenever he had it in mind to quit the fags.

Although I don’t smoke them these days, I’m glad they’re still going and always smile inwardly when I see someone puffing on one — sadly, a vanishingly rare sight these days.

Jan 27, 2020
I remember a few years ago when I was all about Falcon pipes a tobacconist telling me “You’re too young to be smoking a Falcon”. Make of that what you will.

As a child of the early seventies I can remember a time when just about every pipe smoker in the UK smoked a Falcon. They are inextricably linked with sideburns, brown slacks and Rover 2000s in my mind. My late father sported all three and smoked one on-and-off whenever he had it in mind to quit the fags.

Although I don’t smoke them these days, I’m glad they’re still going and always smile inwardly when I see someone puffing on one — sadly, a vanishingly rare sight these days.

It’s also nice to see that they are still manufactured in the UK.

A question for Falcon users out there, do you use the same stem for aromatics and non, just switching out the bowls, or do you find the dry rings or stem might pick up a ghost between serious cleanings?

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ

A question for Falcon users out there, do you use the same stem for aromatics and non, just switching out the bowls, or do you find the dry rings or stem might pick up a ghost between serious cleanings?
Glad you bought a Falcon. I have 3 stems and 7 bowls. All smoke well. The stems don’t ghost at all but I often toss the stem in the dishwater to freshen them. Nylon mouthpieces won’t be damaged by this like vulcanite. At my age I’ve settled into a few va flakes that I smoke exclusively so I don’t concern myself with ghosting. There are a few naysayers out there re these pipes,but ignore them and smoke away!

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ

I forgot to say that I've never used the dry rings and I've been a Falcon smoker since 1972. If you smoke slowly and "sip", and keep the bowl fairly cool, you can remove the bowl (carefully! ) and mop out any moisture with a tissue. You can never sour the heel of a Falcon pipe by putting it down and leaving it wet. Purchase a bowl for each type of tobacco you like to avoid ghosting. It's cheaper than buying more pipes. I hope you enjoy your Falcon and recommend them.

Jan 27, 2020
I forgot to say that I've never used the dry rings and I've been a Falcon smoker since 1972. If you smoke slowly and "sip", and keep the bowl fairly cool, you can remove the bowl (carefully! ) and mop out any moisture with a tissue. You can never sour the heel of a Falcon pipe by putting it down and leaving it wet. Purchase a bowl for each type of tobacco you like to avoid ghosting. It's cheaper than buying more pipes. I hope you enjoy your Falcon and recommend them.

Thank you, the dry ring system does seem practical. After only a day I am all about the Falcon, seems so democratic for lack of a better word... practical, clever and satisfying, makes me think of the elusive well designedly economy sports car. Anyway, I look forward to more bowls and a few stems in the future. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.