Nov 12, 2014
Savinelli Qandale, here I come.
The Broomhildas are nice too.?

p289m_01.jpg

Reactions: chopper

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
I have a couple, but don’t smoke them often. I do like the deep bowl on my Wizard Cobbit. Very relaxing to do a multi-hour bowl on a lazy Saturday while smoking a pork shoulder. Otherwise? Meh. I like having both hands free, so I prefer lighter, shorter clencher.

• Wow
Reactions: BROBS

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I have a couple of Churh Wardens. I rarely smoke them. But, every time I do smoke them, it is a great, positive experience. They cool the smoke down and give a pleasant smoking experience.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
That's not unlike my very first pipe:

View attachment 17309

That's the one that bit me repeatedly. Ergo, [ long stem = no bite ] = myth.
Long stem = no bite is certainly a myth. However, in my experience so far, long stem + appropriate cadence, drying time, and blend construction does equal a cooler smoke. In other words, for a Churchwarden to truly deliver a cooler smoke, you need that perfect storm. But for me it does seem cooler when those conditions are met vs significantly shorter stems in side by side comparisons (which I’ve done) Again, could be totally psychological, but thats my $.02

How much cooler? Some, but not any crazy amount. Just enough to be noticeable.

davek

Mar 20, 2014
About half the time I'm smoking a cob with a longish reed stem stuck into the MM's existing shank. The pipe generally ends up about a foot long, so it's a shortish churchwarden. I originally did that to discourage clenching as too much clenching can give me TMJ issues.

I love my hillbilly wardens. They are a breeze to clean. No worries as to removing a stem while hot as well. I could see all the wardens pictured being a PITA to clean with that long stem.

The smoke is cooler, of course. Not by a lot. I have found through comparison that a longer pipe can change how a blend tastes a little. It's not as much as the difference between a cob and a briar and a clay and a meerschaum (sorry, Embers) but it's there. It's sometimes enough to improve a blend you're not in love with.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
True there are variables - In my limited experience it does stack the deck in favor of a cooler smoke. Put a filter in there to cool it even more. My Sav Quandale + 6mm filter is the coolest smoker I have.

Best,
G
Like I needed another excuse reason to want to buy one of those! ?

Frankly, I'm thinking of 'redesigning' my image and buy/smoke/sport nothing but churchwardens hereon. ? (Or mostly long-stemmed pipes—have to make a small allowance for the odd ball shortie that catches my fancy, haha.)

Reactions: lightmybriar

JMcQ

Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
If you're just looking for a cool smoke, but are okay with looking silly, why not just walk around with a water bong and call it a day.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I didn’t think my Churchwarden smoked any cooler than a normal pipe and if you clench it you just look ridiculous. And I clench a gourd calabash.

Status
Not open for further replies.