PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
lol I did the same thing I almost poked my eye thinking it was a normal length stem.
also easy to bang on stuff.

if you were just sitting in an armchair doing nothing they may be great.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Thank you for not taking me for a jerk in saying that. That shows that you have very good character. I totally believe you when you say it smokes cooler for you. You are not alone. Many say the same, but many also say it doesn't. There are so many other reasons to love these lanky things, and this is just one small one, IMO.
Dude, before I started posting I lurked around for a year and frequently searched back into old posts so I was already accustomed to your bluntness, and honestly, I appreciate it. I really just dove into my reply without reading the previous ones and wasn't thinking about my wording. It's easy to get ahead of myself on here and just start typing, and I usually regret it. One thing I like about this forum is that it is kinda like hanging out at a b&m or cigar lounge. Sometimes people offer great insights and advice and sometimes people like to brag and sound like they know something. Sometimes folks laugh things off or roll their eyes and sometimes they speak up and set others straight. Everyone here has their own personality and some of that comes through in print. I appreciate everyone that contributes, and this site in general. You're a veteran here and I regard your opinion highly.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
Addressing the debate as to longer stems cooling the smoke or not... there are many variables.

The smoke goes through the stem very rapidly, but since the stem is narrow the volume of smoke per time is not great.

A thinner stem like a reed would radiate more heat than a thicker, more insulated vulcanite (etc.) stem but I know that a reed stem can be fairly warm fairly far up the stem after a full bowl.

yada, yada, yada, yada.

Anecdotal evidence from quite a few people is basically experimental evidence without the double blind though, and there seems to be a rather consistent finding.

If there is cooling of the smoke by a longer stem, it is not a huge amount so the statement that a warden "cools the smoke" is exaggerated anyway. The debate over whether it cools the smoke by 10% or by less than 1% is really a fine point.

I wonder how much a greater condensation of tars in a greater length might matter. There's a new debate. ;)

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
So, to summarize:

1.) There are too many extraneous variables, and not enough empirical data to say whether churchwardens cool the smoke/act of smoking or not. If they do, that's a plus, if not, you're right back where you would be with any other shape.

2.) Churchwardens offer increased functionality in some situations (Sitting, reading, driving, monitoring the church grounds, smoking out the rectory window). They offer decreased functionality in others (doing pretty much anything else).

3.) The final and probably most influential factor. They look nice/ugly depending on who you are. The appeal of a churchwarden lies in that it is a unique shape, just like any other. Some find it aesthetically pleasing, others do not.

Conclusion: Based on the evidence, we have come to the statistically significant scientific conclusion that a churchwarden is a tobacco pipe.

bmdfm

Lurker
Jan 13, 2013
Newport, New Hampshire
I personally find the aesthetics of a full blown churchwarden unappealing, but I do like the semi-churchwardens. I have a couple of those, both Savinelli. One is a Quandale and the other is a Ginger's Favorite. Had issues with the Ginger's Favorite until I figured out that there was a plastic obstruction in the airway. Once I took care of that, it has performed much better. I don't smoke them often, but do enjoy them from time to time. I don't think I would enjoy a much longer stem than that though. I use the 9" pipe cleaners on those which seems to work well.

Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
I'm really surprised that this thread got this kind of response. I posted the question with the expectation of one or two responses. I didn't know that this was such a divisive subject.

• Haha
Reactions: rushx9 and BROBS

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Wait, some pipesmokers think churchwardens look silly? bah ha ha... we all look silly with hunks of wood smoldering tobacco in them shoved in our faces.
It's like hearing some clowns with big floppy shoes, fake red hair, and red noses arguing with that one clown who wants to wear a cape... "Bongo, you look like you are trying to look like a superhero in that cape. It's just silly."

Haha, a very good point. Nothing like smoking a pipe to make you stick out like a turd in a bowl of milk.

• Haha
Reactions: BROBS

Frozenoak

Can't Leave
Oct 9, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA
Once upon a time, I wanted to buy a clay pipe. I did some research and found a statement (that I now find questionable) that all clay pipes started as churchwardens and over time through drops, clenching mishaps, and such they would be sanded and waxed, becoming “normal.” So I bought a clay churchwarden. It was, and still is, so long I have a hard time lighting it but I enjoy the smoke. I’ve since purchased half a dozen or so briar churchwardens of more reasonable length. I find them to encourage a lifted head. My standard length pipes are great for working, lunting, reading, foruming... etc, but the churchwardens are great for stargazing, birdwatching, conversing and such.

Reactions: rushx9 and Casual

Big Bear

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
I have never smoked one but I have wanted a chruchwarden since I started smoking a pipe and researched the history of pipe smoking. I am a huge history nerd and the history of the churchwarden has made the pipe style very interesting to me. Reading this thread has done nothing to curb my desire to own a churchwarden. Yall have only fueled my P.A.D to new and greater heights. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.