Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've had a few throughout the years, but they just became too cumbersome.

img_20160103_085359.jpg

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
If you’re a Hobbit they make you look taller.

If you’re a Wizard they make you look wiser.

If you’re like most of the rest of us they make you feel like a Hobbit or a Wizard, but otherwise they’re mostly a PITA.

They do smoke nicely though. Just not enough to make them worth the bother for most people, me included.

I have one but it gets smoked only once in a while.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
If you're trying to do something, clench, etc. I can see why they might not be the best choice.

If you're just sitting and relaxing I see them as 0% more difficult or cumbersome than any other pipe.

In fact they may be less cumbersome if you're sitting down as I often slouch a bit, hold the stem loosely with my teeth, and let the bowl rest on my chest leaving both hands free. Also, less smoke in the face is a nice bonus.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
2 big plusses for me:

• Less smoke in your eyes
  • Cooler smoke in your mouth - more distance for it to cool down the stem. I use mine for hotter burning Virginias.
Really not a bad choice if you plan on sitting, but unwieldy if you're planning on walking.

Best,
G
You can lunt with one, no problem, unless you need to carry stuff in your hands or use a cane.

Really, if one wants to smoke one, one makes it adapt to one's activities. Too much of a hassle? Well, when I started carrying a cane it was a hassle too, now it's like a third foot I barely notice.

I have to provide a caveat emptor here, though: long stem does not necessarily guarantee cool smoke. I've burned the hell out of my mouth with a churchwarden.

Reactions: rushx9

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Cool factor.

Comfy for driving: just rest my arm on the, well, armrest and sip from it with minimal movements of both head and arm.

Smallish bowls.

Not for clenchers, though. I don't clench, so that's no deal breaker for me.
Yep, love a churchwarden while driving. And while sitting around doing nothing but smoking.

Reactions: rushx9

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I like them alot. May be psychological, but I do find they smoke cooler. In addition, they keep the smoke out of your face. Some are still light enough to clench, but many are long enough that you don't NEED to clench, you just sit with your hand on your leg. Definitely not a pipe for smoking while moving around, but I rarely move and smoke anyway.

All that being said, I'll be honest, I like them mostly for the aesthetics, and because they make me feel hobbity as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.