PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
Package came today and part of it was a new MM Country Gentleman cob with the dark finish. I was inspecting the pipe when I caught a whiff of something...chemical. I can swear that there's the smell of something akin to nail polish remover, like an acetone.

I've never noticed the smell before. Is this right?

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
The bowl on that one is stained and it's possible they are pushing them out the door before it's fully cured.

The only pipe I have ever just thrown away without even trying was a MM hardwood because it smelled like varnish when I got it.

I imagine a few days sitting around would do it some good.

1581400351052.jpeg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Package came today and part of it was a new MM Country Gentleman cob with the dark finish. I was inspecting the pipe when I caught a whiff of something...chemical. I can swear that there's the smell of something akin to nail polish remover, like an acetone.

I've never noticed the smell before. Is this right?
Plaster of paris probably.

or the lacquer.

The ingredients are why I pretty much stopped smoking cobs.

the hardwoods always smell like varnish IMO it doesn’t go away til you smoke them.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
The bowl on that one is stained and it's possible they are pushing them out the door before it's fully cured.

The only pipe I have ever just thrown away without even trying was a MM hardwood because it smelled like varnish when I got it.

I imagine a few days sitting around would do it some good.

View attachment 18967

That was a rough first couple of smokes.. really maybe a rough 10 smokes. Once I did smoke that varnish off its one of my best smokers. Why would the stain the inside of the pipe? Crazy.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I was gifted a MM by a friend. Honestly, if it wasn't a gift, this would be the last choice of a pipe I would try, or, buy.

I loaded it up, and smoked it. It smelled and tasted like warm lacquer thinner, and the stem, like nail-polish remover.

I threw it into the garbage. No break-in period....no second chances. I don't have time to waste. I'm not that curious.

Reactions: BROBS

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
I smoked some C&D Oak Alley in my MM Morgan the other evening and it was one of the best smokes I've ever had. Both of my cobs are unfinished, though; lighter weight, cooler smoking, and no lacquer to worry about

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a fairly good sniffer but I have never noticed this MM cob chemical smell. It may be, as someone said, that sometimes lots of pipes get shipped out before they gas-off. Apparently mine have all had some time in inventory.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.