PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
These days dust.
It's all ball bearings and digital music.
A short list
Reckless Kelly

Micky and the Motorcars

Randy Rogers

Cross Canadian Ragweed

Kasey Chambers

Wade Bowen

Stoney Larue

Lost Immigrants

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
Believe it or not. The Three Tenors at La Scala. I find absoutly amazing what they can do with their voices.

oppie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2010
Chicago
Jonesing, My kids all say the same thing. CD's are garbage. I don't get it. Are CD's a thing of the past?

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
I think CDs are quickly becoming extinct Oppie.
I have a Sansa MP3 player that's smaller than a box of matches with over 1000 songs on it. It goes to the gym with me, plugs in my truck, plugs in my homes sound system etc.
And you can buy all the music you want (or pirate it if you're OK with that) from an arm chair with a laptop.
I'm sure they'll think of something to make it all outdated at some point to sell new formats. Maybe just a chip implanted in the ear canal or something.

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
As one who went to school for sound engineering I can say mp3's are garbage. They cut out 60+ percent of the actual music to be able to compress in a tiny file. Thats why people say that vinyl records sounded so much better because it was just raw natural music. I have a couple of iPods and other mp3 but I can personally say and prove that cd's are much better in sound quality then mp3. Back to the original question I got the Counting Crows and the Zac Brown Band in my cd player in my truck right now.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
It's strange how one's subconscious can explain things to you, that do not expose themselves in everyday life.

I had a dream a long time ago that demonstrated how digital is far inferior to analog when it comes to recorded sound. (Back in the "Avionics" days of my youth.)

I preformed the math back then that demonstrated the inferior qualities of digital sampling when compared directly with the replication of actual sound waves through analog recording. The results were astounding.
So, what's on my "stereo" is Shadowfax: The Dreams of Children

oppie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2010
Chicago
Pstlpkr, What you wrote is a little over my head. LOL. However. I do agree. I have kept all my albums in mint condition. Now all I need is a good turntable.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Oppie,
Def: Avionics, noun; Aviation Electronics

I used to hold MOS: 6620 in the Marine Corps, Aviation Electronics, Tactical Air and Navigational Systems Technician, with IFF and Radar accreditation.

oppie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2010
Chicago
Pstlpkr, Shadowfax: The Dreams of Children. New Age jazz?? "6620 in the Marine Corps, Aviation Electronics, Tactical Air and Navigational Systems Technician, with IFF and Radar accreditation". Now I know for sure what you wrote is over my head. Impressive.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
The digital sampling is based on bits per microseconds, where analog is a wholly continuous reproduction of sound.

In other words where digital "sampling" is just that a sample of the whole.

Analog, is the whole.

In other words; Analog can convey the warmth or the "feeling" of the music, when digital can only reproduce the sound.

To quote "Lanagan" from The Sting: "Ya falla?"

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Many artists (400 disc changer). A few include:

Allman Brothers, Clapton, BB King, CCR, Aerosmith, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Diana Krall, Sonny Rollins, Zep, the Stones, Nina Storey, Dresden Dolls, U2, Sting, Joss Stone, Glenn Miller, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Muddy Waters, Rush, Robert Johnson, Howard Jones, Robert Randalph Band, Stevie Ray Vaughan....

I can't even keep track anymore :)

oppie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2010
Chicago
Along with The Who, I also have Pink Floyd, Allman Brothers, ELP, Yes, Cream, The Doors, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rush, Sex Pistols, Mott the Hoople, Led Zeppelin, Santana, ELO, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck and Deep Purple.

Status
Not open for further replies.