PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I didn't place an order during IPSD, so wasn't out anything and didn't get double-charged, or have an order delayed or any other problems. But I watched the unbelievable failing many of the rest here had to slog through. My account shows only four orders in 2016.....that totaled over $1,000 purchased from P&C. It's the many silent (until now) customers like me they should really be worried about. Because I have no plans to spend any more with them.
Out of curiosity I checked my P&C purchases and they totaled $2267.06 in total for 2016. I have made no purchases from them in 2017.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Me either. I think Russ is a tribute to the pipe smoking activity and would like to support P&C. But, they remind me of Relapse Records in the late 1990s, namely that the stoners in the order fulfillment area don't get it right, and the support staff can't or won't correct the problem, which makes many of us wonder if the 10% lower price is worth the much greater risk of damaged merch.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Screw them, I got into it with them about crappy shipping an damaged tins, in the end I was sent a discount code, deleted it and took my business to other sites, haven't gone back and don't intend to

Jun 27, 2016
Looking quickly at their pricing on a few common blends, and they are just about as, or in some cases more expensive than SP right now.
I have a theory about P&Cs dented tins. They may get them from the distributor already dented for a very low price to see if they will stick as they sell. Personally, I've gotten somewhere between 5% and 10% dented tins from them, usually the boxes appear undamaged, and it does not bother me as long as the tins are still sealed.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
"they are just about as, or in some cases more expensive than SP right now."
That's because Smoking Pipes just lowered their prices several days ago. (maybe 2 weeks) THEY ARE LISTENING, and because of that, I am buying from them again.

jravenwood

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2017
I never had a problem with them, and placed a bunch of orders last year. My IPSD order was half shipped and havent heard anything since. No response to two emails either. BUT - I get that mistakes happen, they arent off my list and ill order from them again when the need arises. I hope they get some Trout Stream made again soon...

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
"they are just about as, or in some cases more expensive than SP right now."
That's because Smoking Pipes just lowered their prices several days ago. (maybe 2 weeks) THEY ARE LISTENING, and because of that, I am buying from them again.
I haven't noticed much difference in pricing between the two sites over the past few years, with the exception of C&D bulk and Lane bulk sales. When I got SPC's e-mail saying they'd lowered their prices, I went to check a couple of blends and the price was the same as it had been a couple of days ago. Maybe I haven't been looking at the right stuff.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
As mentioned on another thread, P&C says they are eating the PA Tobacco Sales Tax of 55¢ an ounce. That is fine and good, certainly not good for their bottom line, but probably necessary to try to stay competitive, especially in light of recent events. Still, I appreciate their doing it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I have a theory about P&Cs dented tins. They may get them from the distributor already dented for a very low price to see if they will stick as they sell.
Your theory is unsupported by fact.
I've been in the P&C/CI warehouse and have seen their entire operation. All tinned tobacco is new direct from the manufacturer. It is a sight to behold. Aisle after aisle of cases and shrink-wrapped rolls of factory fresh tins of your favorite tobaccos. In fact, a lot of what P&C sells is manufactured by either their parent company (STG) or their sister company (Lane Ltd.) and shipped to them directly.
Now, their shipping protocols do leave something to be desired. Why they can't package tins so that they don't rattle around in the box is beyond me. And I know it's a source of great frustration for Russ and Eric at P&C. They don't control the shipping department, they can only suffer the slings and arrows from outraged customers when dented tins arrive on their doorsteps.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I haven't received anything.
I had an order of LBF and LTF for 1.5lb each on backorder. Eventually my order completely disappeared from their system and at the same time they had become available so I then placed another order which I promptly received. I created a customer service request asking why in the hell my order was gone. Not just cancelled but gone from their system. After about a month they just closed it and never responded.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I've been in the P&C/CI warehouse and have seen their entire operation.
Thank you woods for giving us some real information over wistful conjecture.
After about a month they just closed it and never responded.
Offhand fitzy, I'd say it sounds like you were another victim of whatever software gremlins they've suffered. Hopefully, this sort of crap is being put behind them.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Why they can't package tins so that they don't rattle around in the box is beyond me. And I know it's a source of great frustration for Russ and Eric at P&C.
You mean that order fulfilment staff, across all industries, tend to be stoners? Haha!
I wish 'em the best of luck.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I don't think that P&C's packaging problems lie with the individual employees.
FWIW, Amazon is MUCH worse than P&C. Did I say MUCH worse? And I know for a fact that their employees are drug tested.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I've had good luck with Amazon, although of course I stopped using it because of the boycott.
You think P&C prohibits employees from packing well? Interesting.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
"You think P&C prohibits employees from packing well?"
No, I think that their employees perform their jobs as they are instructed.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Ouch! I.E. "saving money."
What a shame. It seems to explain some of the exodus from P&C. We like our stuff to arrive intact.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It's been a very long time since I worked in a shipping department, but there are usually well established guidelines and practices that are specifically tailored to the types of materials (products) being shipped. The boss doesn't just say "Hey Dan, mail this to Deathmetal, wouldja?"

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I never had a problem with them for many years, until their software problem.

I buy cigars from 2 other sites & they had the same software issues, issued me the same email apologies, assuming it was an industry specific program.

I know that if it were my company I would be more pissed off than anyone here, because I let my customers down.

And I have no affiliations except a happy customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.