PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
I don't expect them back ever, but I do miss manual typewriters, and especially the portable ones, which in addition to giving satisfying text also provided immense pleasure to me as instruments of percussion -- whap, whap,
whappety, whap. ding, boom. On behalf of the next generation, I miss the days when states considered supporting post secondary education as good investment and a boon to the future, so grads were ready for life and not buried in debt for the foreseeable future. I miss the days when childhood had large increments of independence to roam the countryside and/or towns with freedom and reasonable safety, and every activity in life wasn't organized and supervised by adults. My dad's dog could jump in the school house window and sleep at his feet under his desk, because Spot was well behaved. I was so lucky as to know all four of my grandparents personally because everyone hadn't scattered to the ends of the world. Growing up, I knew what my dad did for a living, accompanied him to work on the winter holidays, and I knew the story of my family history. Many children do not know what their parents do for a living and do not know from whence their family immigrated. I have a theory that people don't evolve upward in life, but only trade off one set of abilities and strengths for others as they go along, gaining some but losing others. I think perhaps nations and civilizations do likewise, and that progress is trading off one set of benefits for others, giving up many as we go. Human history is one long trek from Eden.
My 1960 Smith Corona portable manual typewriter never went away. It shows wear and tear, as do I but I use it to write letters to my sons. I like the idea of leaving a non-digital record of what was going on in our lives over the past ten years or so. I like stick shifts too so I guess that clears up any doubts about me being an anachronism.
Enjoyed you post.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
BROBS, older than shit is what you probably want to shoot for.

I'm not sure who'd buy the trans doll or why. Let the kid figure out which gender they are, or feel they aren't ... then give them the doll at age twenty eight? More a wacky party joke for adults, I'd guess. Hope.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
the whole sexual identity thing.. I agree it's out of control. Doesn't affect me and if you or anyone wants to call themselves a woman, dog, or robot I don't care.

I really don't care either...as long as they're an adult.

But we live in a time now where there have been a number of cases of minor, prepubescent children undergoing some form of "sex-reassignment" procedures/hormone treatment/etc.

And in some of these cases involving divorces, judges have ordered that the child undergo these "procedures" against the wishes of one of the parents.

Any parent, doctor or judge who facilitates this being done to a child is a psychopath...plain and simple. And it boggles my mind that it is legal for this to be done to a minor.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It was more unbiased. It was more about reporting the news, not making the news. You didn't see news shows that had heavy political leanings.

The primary and very real difference with the "mainstream" news media in the past was that it was not ALL owned and controlled by only 5 or 6 corporations.

The MSM now is a total joke and almost completely devoid of any real journalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.