PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
It is a fixable situation and one that can be fixed easily. Seriously, Briarville or any reasonable pipe repair person can fix this pipe in a manner that will never reveal itself as having been fixed. Don't sweat it. Been there, done that.

This sort of self-assured ignorance is why people who actually know a bit about PipeWorld stuff have abandoned forums in droves. For every word of sound advice there are hundreds (thousands?) written that are wrong. Sometimes absurdly wrong. Often they are mere guesses (superglue is a good example in this case); sometimes it's what they were told by the friend of a friend of a friend; sometimes it's simply what they read on a different forum; and sometimes---like here---a case of a single datapoint not being a reliable indicator of anything.

It's like trying to fill the Grand canyon with a shovel.

No, telescopes, such breaks cannot be fixed easily. (unless shitty alignment, airway voids, future glue failure. and a number of other things don't matter)

Depending on what you meant by reasonable, competent repair people are outright rare. It's why virtually no carvers ALSO do repairs, and why virtually no one who tries it stays with it for long.

Being that a nice Castello costs several hundred dollars, and there's no rewind button on bad quality work and/or mistakes, I think that its owner should very much "sweat it," especially by doing some asking around OTHER than on forums where "groupthink" is in control of so much.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
This sort of self-assured ignorance is why people who actually know a bit about PipeWorld stuff have abandoned forums in droves. For every word of sound advice there are hundreds (thousands?) written that are wrong. Sometimes absurdly wrong. Often they are mere guesses (superglue is a good example in this case); sometimes it's what they were told by the friend of a friend of a friend; sometimes it's simply what they read on a different forum; and sometimes---like here---a case of a single datapoint not being a reliable indicator of anything.

It's like trying to fill the Grand canyon with a shovel.

No, telescopes, such breaks cannot be fixed easily. (unless shitty alignment, airway voids, future glue failure. and a number of other things don't matter)

Depending on what you meant by reasonable, competent repair people are outright rare. It's why virtually no carvers ALSO do repairs, and why virtually no one who tries it stays with it for long.

Being that a nice Castello costs several hundred dollars, and there's no rewind button on bad quality work and/or mistakes, I think that its owner should very much "sweat it," especially by doing some asking around OTHER than on forums where "groupthink" is in control of so much.
Ah…. Every word you wrote is wrong. I personally had a high valued pipe that broke in the same place and had it repaired. It was easily fixed and no one would be able to know that it was ever broken. But, of course you know better because you say so. I bow to your expertise and will ignore my own first hand experience with two different pipes.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I'm just damned glad we've got 11 kinds of expert for every problem these days. In the old days, you actually had to know what the hell you were talking about before you gave advice. Thankfully that hell is behind us.

Status
Not open for further replies.