What Would You Do With a Pipe That Smokes Very Hot and Wet? (GBD)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
New Cigars
36 Fresh Ropp Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm not sure how much this matters but the tenon on the replacement stem doesn't go all the way in, so it's a bit short.
There's likely the problem. The air traveling from the draft hole to a normal fitting stem has the same air speed. In your case it is going from the draft hole to a larger space then back into a constricted space when entering the tenon. That would create a venturi effect and probably give more force to your draw without you increasing it. That would explain the wet smoke and extra heat.

Reactions: diamondback

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Photos, please!

What you describe sounds like it may have been oil cured, but the step to remove the oil was skipped. Just spitballing here. But boiling it will remove some gunk, hopefully enough. But it may also wreck the stummel, but if you've exhausted all else....

Beat me to it.

I’d like to have seen some up-close pics, before and after.

Thing is, if it’s a toss out, you learn something by messing around with it, or at least I would. So for me not so much “can’t let the pipe go” as much as “is it possible to fix it?”

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
Beat me to it.

I’d like to have seen some up-close pics, before and after.

Thing is, if it’s a toss out, you learn something by messing around with it, or at least I would. So for me not so much “can’t let the pipe go” as much as “is it possible to fix it?”

These are my thoughts too, since I'm starting anew I'm basically committed to learning all there is to learn about pipe smoking. I welcome any mistakes I make because that's the only way to truly learn.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Clean the shank, Tim doesn't extend much effort into cleaning his estate pipes (in fact someone else does it). But why someone would waste $20 in a pipe with those repairs eludes me.

Reactions: subsalac

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Make up a grandiose story about it being a one-of-a-kind collector's masterpiece and offer it on eBay for $1,500, and settle for $1,450. No, don't add to the decline of civilization. If it is interesting trying to tweak it back to life, do so. Sand it, strip it, apply heat and cold. When you get bored with it, I'd throw it over a bridge rail. Pipes abandoned in the house may follow you around forever.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States

If this is the link where you got it, its not Tim West. I thought he took a drill bit and cleans the shank out. I would recommend doing that with one that is a hair bigger than the shank drilling. Also chamfer the end of the tenon on the bit/stem. I don't think the space between the back of the mortise and the end of the tenon is an absolute killer. plenty of decent smoking pipes have that too.

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018

If this is the link where you got it, its not Tim West.

Ahh, okay. False assumption on my part from the ebay handle. Anywho, I have an update: I was hopeful as I was boiling it because there was scum that was floating on the surface of the water but after drying it for a few days and trying again, it smokes the exact same. Hot like a clay pipe, and wet like a water fountain. Pity. I think the briar's pores have just been too assaulted with something that doesn't belong in briar pores.

Status
Not open for further replies.